lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

Default Im probably and idiot and need help....

First off , I am new to the forum and appreciate any help I receive.

I have a 36 volt golf cart I purchased from a used parts dealer where I work. (automobiles, not carts) It was running last year I was told and that the batteries were shot. (they said when they hit the gas the solenoid would click and it didn't move) So I had the brilliant idea of using 3 automobile 12 volt batteries to make sure the motor and all was still good. I ran the 3 batteries in a series to get my 36 volts. When I pressed the accelerator, i had some wires start smoking but didnt melt. It was at the connector between the pedal and the black box. Did I ruin this cart? Was I wrong at assuming 36 volts was 36 volts?
MATTCRUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Im probably and idiot and need help....

Welcome to BGW!

36v IS 36v, as long as it's wired correctly. This method is fine for testing the viability of a cart, but they don't run long when powered this way. Long enough to prove they work however.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, guess there is more wrong with it than just the batteries. I dont even know where to start. Im going to read all the stickys and see what I can find out.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Post the serial #, then ID the drive system. ie: 5 solenoid, resistor coil, or controller cart.
That's a good start.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

When I get to the shop tomorrow I will up load more information all i know as of right now is it is a ez go and its 36v.

I have a simple question I snatched the batteries out so quick I wonder if I had the positive and negative backwards on my 36 volt. I had the positive hooked to the shorter cable closer to the front of the cart and the negative hooked to the longer cable that stretched to the rear of the cart.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ar both connections on the passenger side far edge of the pack? If so that correct, you are describing a 1994 and up controller TXT cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

Yes it says "ez go txt".... and something about Textron company
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

This website is awesome and so are you guys. I have already figured out that mine is a txt and NON-DCS. And will know what to try on it tomorrow. Thanks for yalls help!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have faith in you Matt. Just remember there is no such thing as a dumb question and we are here to help you. So ask away don't be afraid

Let us know what happens?!

And that my friend makes 1600 posts
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
MATTCRUFF
Not Yet Wild

I still really havent had a chance to look at the cart. But I did notice on the wiring diagram it showed a resistor going across the larger connectors of the solenoid. Mine was missing this resistor (the company had just replaced the solenoid and when they realized the batteries were dead they put the old one back on obviously they left the resistor off) What would not having this resistor do to the cart? Could this be what caused the heated wires?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO