lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
rs22080
Not Yet Wild

Question E-Z-GO MPT 1000 5-2 main contact open fault in reverse only.

Ok guys, I'm in a bit if a tough spot. I have an E-Z-GO MPT 1000, '04 48V model with a curtis 1244 with CAN and no walkie. This things been sitting a while. I charged and load tested batteries of which 2 were bad. I replaced those batteries, then the main contact, and eventually had to go into the computer to replace a driver. All that is done now, and she screams in forward. Reverse does not work however. I keep getting the "5-2 main contact open" code. Which is true! Main contact is open in reverse but it closes just fine in forward. I've got system voltage at reverse terminal on computer, but the main contact driver just doesn't work in reverse for some reason. Can anyone think of any kind of interlock situation that would cause this to happen and throw the main contact open code? If it is saying it's open, you would think the computer expects it to be closed... Anyway, I have system voltage at main contact coil when in reverse, but like I said, the main contact driver won't come on in reverse. Tried jumping main contact to ground, but the controller is too smart for that. Any thoughts? Work arounds? Available wiring schematics? Even if I could get emergency reverse going somehow (though, i suspect my controller is not equipped), that would be great! The thing is going to operate in mostly forward anyway. One other thing, The driver for reverse signal comes on with key off and direction switch in reverse position! But with the key on, reverse signal driver stays off and alarm does not sound in reverse. Could this cause reverse not to engage? Thanks guys, I've been racking my brain on this for days. Any other info needed? I'll be checking this thread regularly.
rs22080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: E-Z-GO MPT 1000 5-2 main contact open fault in reverse only.

Sounds to me like the solenoid is not closing in reverse.
Have you checked to see which half of the solenoid activation circuit is missing in reverse at the solenoid?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
rs22080
Not Yet Wild

Scotty, yes, this is what i was trying to explain. The main contact relay is not activating in reverse. The problem is that the main contact driver in the controller will not activate when put into reverse. It does operate just fine in forward. Any insight on this?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can by pass this function by supplying current from another source, is it the negative side of the activation circuit that's missing in reverse? Try a jumper wire supply and see how it works, The positive side from the peddle box micro is still the trigger.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
rs22080
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb for getting back to me so fast. It is the negative side of the main contact relay that is not grounding through the controller (it does ground in forward). I have tried to supply a ground for the relay, but the controller can see that I have done that, and while the coil will be engaged, it will not induce a field to the motor and it throws the 5-2 code again. The main contact driver in the controller operates in forward, but in reverse the driver does not. I feel like it's some sort of interlock (or maybe bad controller?). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that it will work in forward and not reverse, unless there is some sort of input the controller needs to see (interlock?) to unlock reverse travel. It does have a CAN data link, I think this may be involved in the problem. Of course I could be "too close to it" and need to back up a bit and think about it another way.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
rs22080
Not Yet Wild

I think I understand your question better after reading it again, I do have 48V to activate the main contact relay in forward and reverse, just no main contact driver in reverse (which is providing the ground for main contact relay coil). I don't understand it, I'm leaning toward a controller problem I can't fix. The main contact driver for forward is the same main contact driver for reverse. I've been reading the curtis manual for the controller incessantly, but it fails to over any kind of internal schematic or a good theory of operation. There is definitely some good info in it, but nothing to explain what I have going on.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So even if you jumper the solenoid, effectively bypassing the switch...... the cart only goes one direction? This sounds like a controller failure.

Tags
main contact open, reverse not working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO