lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
double 0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 04 SERIES EZGO Cable upgrade

New to the site!

I have a 2004 EZGO Series that I am getting ready to lift and install 22" Tires. Which cables do I need to upgrade to 4 ga? Just the battery cables? Are some of the cables already 4 ga on this unit?

Also, this is a 36 voltwith all stock components. I use for hunting and working around our farm. Will I be happy with the way the it performs with the 22" compared to how it does now with the 18"? The main thing I want to gain with the lift was ground clearence because it sometimes bottoms out on me now.
double 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 04 SERIES EZGO Cable upgrade

The only cables you don't need to do is the ones from the charger plug to the -and + of the batteries and the 2 smaller cables running to the motor from the controller that have the spade connectors on the controller side.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 SERIES EZGO Cable upgrade

This is a series cart, right? All 13 cables need to be upgraded. There are no 4g cables on the original cart.
You will also need to upgrade the F&R switch, and later the controller and Solenoid.... if you want to run 22inch tires ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: 04 SERIES EZGO Cable upgrade

My first post was wrong sorry. I had a PDS cart on my mind for some reason.
Up grade all the cables except for the 2 going to the charger plug they make no differance in the way the cart runs.
Think of the cables as water line if you install a feeder 1" then drop down to 1/2" you just reduced the amount of water getting to the other end, same thing in elctrical cables.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by double 0 View Post
...............Will I be happy with the way the it performs with the 22" compared to how it does now with the 18"?.........
Welcome to BGW.

Going from 18" tires to 22" tires will reduce your torque by about 22%, but will increase your top speed by about 3MPH.
Whether that makes you happy or not is up to you.

To get the torque back, you have to pump more amps through the motor and to do that, you'll need cables and components with greater current carrying capabilities.
In fact, you'll soon be replacing the stock components whether you want to or not because the taller tires will put more of a load on them than they were designed to handle.

What Andy is talking about is easier to see on this generic diagram of a series type cart. Total motor current goes through everything (Except the precharge resistor across the main contacts of the solenoid and the dotted line A2-A2 cable), and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so anything weaker than the rest will limit the entire system and the weakest item will most likely be the first one to fail.
Note: The 13 cable Scotty mentioned are the 8 shown on the diagram plus the 5 connecting the 6 batteries in series.

If it were mine, I'd probably replace all the cables with 4Ga or larger, and maybe the F/R switch.
Then replace the Solenoid and Controller when they failed, or when I wanted more torque.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
double 0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the info guys. And yes, this is a series cart.

So...all cables and the F/R Switch now, and the controller and solenoid when they fail? Am I understanding this correctly? How long should I expect out of the controller and solenoid before they go? I am trying to spread this project thin, this is expensive!

Anyone got a link of the F/R switch that I need?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IN an 04 you shouldn't need a complete F&R ($159) you could just install my HD F&R switch Cam $69.

Click the link in my signature in this post.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
double 0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

HD Switch Cam
Item # Ez555

Is this what I need scottyb?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes in a newer cart like yours that's all most guys ever need for the F&R.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO