lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: In the market for Cart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
When going to see the cart for the first time, show up with a volt meter and a load tester. Check the entire pack and then ask that the cables be removed from the batteries. Then check each batt individually. The whole pack should measure around 51 volts if freshly charged. Each batt should measure an equal amount to each other, roughly 8 to 8.5 volts.
I would stay away from carts with multiple dates on the batteries or individual batteries that measure lower than the rest.
Lastly, any cart with multiple accesories, should have a reducer installed. if the prior owner has hooked up the lights, radio, etc to just 2 of the batteries, that's a red flad IMO.
Best wishes Sir!

If somebody showed up to buy one of my carts and wanted to take the cables off and load check the batteries individually I would slam the seat down and tell them to walk. Your buying a golf cart not a house. That's like asking to sleep with a girl before you ask her on a date . lol Just my two cents - Mayor
Mayor of G Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

You don't have to remove the cables to individually check the batteries. Just put the probes on the positive and negative of each battery. First positive and last negative to check the pack voltage.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I may have to agree Mayor, You can ck. the battery date code and if they are old , be prepared that if you buy that cart you will be replacing the batts soon.If they are stamped fairly new then you should be good to go.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
jra007
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of G Vegas View Post
If somebody showed up to buy one of my carts and wanted to take the cables off and load check the batteries individually I would slam the seat down and tell them to walk. Your buying a golf cart not a house. That's like asking to sleep with a girl before you ask her on a date . lol Just my two cents - Mayor

I dont think its unreasonable to ask to check the voltage on the battery bank. Its really no different than checking the hours on a boat before you buy it. Especially when the batteries are 1/4 of the value of the cart at that price level.
jra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra007 View Post
I dont think its unreasonable to ask to check the voltage on the battery bank. Its really no different than checking the hours on a boat before you buy it. Especially when the batteries are 1/4 of the value of the cart at that price level.

Checking with a voltmeter yes is fine... Dismantling the mans cart to try to find failure is not. You live by the sword you die by the sword . If good/bad batteries are that much of a deal breaker on a nice cart IMHO you prob shouldn't be buying it . - Mayor
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
. . . you would never sell me a cart after that statement . . . just saying . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

To test batteries individually: Connect probes to positive & negative of each battery individually.

To test entire battery bank at once: Put the positive probe on the main positive in the pack. Then connect the negative probe to the main negative in the pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Very good point. My assumption is that I ask politely and tackfully. Also very good point to begin by just checking the dates on the batteries. Take it one step at a time. But I dodged a bullet on my cart. The batts were not maintained at all. Had I pulled the caps or tested them first, I may not have purchased the cart. Luckily, I have been able to nurse them back and have had two good years on a 2011 set so far.
The respect goes both ways. Overall, I have had very good luck buying/trading on CL. But If I were to sell my cart, I would be prepared to allow for a test. Lastly, I'm not an electrical expert. If each battery can be tested individually without disconnecting the cables on each one, that's great. I would not put somebody through that if its not necessary.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . you would never sell me a cart after that statement . . . just saying . .

I'm not in the cart selling biz . (Nor ever plan to be) But have several friends who are and was in the retail car biz for years and have sold hundreds of cars. It's frustrating what some people will do to insure there selves they are getting a good deal . I'm totally cool with checking battery date codes or checking with a volt meter /battery tester etc. But when you start removing parts from another persons property to nose around that is crossing the line in my opinion. When you buy a pair shoes do you ask to wear them for a week , then if they feel good you will pay for them? There is risk in any purchase of a pre-owned item . That is were the good deal part comes in. To each their own . Just my take from being on the sales side of equation. I once sold a restored 1967 Camaro RS/SS to a guy in Texas . Since i'm in SC he hired a firm to come appraise and evaluate the car . I was ok with that . When the appraiser looked up from his lil hand book and said he had to get under the car and "poke" at the floor pans/frame with a screw driver to insure there was no rust/rot issues , I responded with only if you want the a$$ whooping that will soon follow that first peck under my car. Needless to say he left shortly after and I explained to the buyer the situation he still bought the car and was pleased as punch with it . What im getting at No risk No reward - Mayor
Old 02-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm not in the cart selling biz . (Nor ever plan to be) But have several friends who are and was in the retail car biz for years and have sold hundreds of cars. It's frustrating what some people will do to insure there selves they are getting a good deal . I'm totally cool with checking battery date codes or checking with a volt meter /battery tester etc. But when you start removing parts from another persons property to nose around that is crossing the line in my opinion. When you buy a pair shoes do you ask to wear them for a week , then if they feel good you will pay for them? There is risk in any purchase of a pre-owned item . That is were the good deal part comes in. To each their own . Just my take from being on the sales side of equation. I once sold a restored 1967 Camaro RS/SS to a guy in Texas . Since i'm in SC he hired a firm to come appraise and evaluate the car . I was ok with that . When the appraiser looked up from his lil hand book and said he had to get under the car and "poke" at the floor pans/frame with a screw driver to insure there was no rust/rot issues , I responded with only if you want the a$$ whooping that will soon follow that first peck under my car. Needless to say he left shortly after and I explained to the buyer the situation he still bought the car and was pleased as punch with it . What im getting at No risk No reward - Mayor
. . . you sound like the "proverbial used car salesman" . . . if you don't trust your product, I don't trust you . . . sorry . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car