lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: In the market for Cart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . you sound like the "proverbial used car salesman" . . . if you don't trust your product, I don't trust you . . . sorry . . .

Oh I had plenty of trust in my product . Just don't have the time nor patience to deal with unneeded bs . Hence why I'm not selling cars today - Mayor
Mayor of G Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #22
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

With all due respect Major, your advice sounds a lot like what you fell someone going to Vegas. "Only bet what you can afford to lose." "Risk v return".
This isn't gambling. The number one concern in buying a used cart is the condition of the batteries. Any owner of an electric cart knows that.
Now, not withstanding the possibility of testing without taking the cables off, there is a difference between that and poking wholes in a floorboard. A wrench and about 5 minutes and the whole process would be done.
Further, of course permission would be asked first.
Now, since you brought it up, I'm sure as a dealership salesperson, you had occasion to educate a customer on the perils of pursuing a private sale. Further, you may have even advised someone to go get a mechanic to checkout the car before they buy it.
So, if cables don't need to come off to fully test the batteries, that's awesome, but even if the do, that's not invasive or damaging. If you are selling a project cart, I get your point. If you are selling me a fully operational cart, as a private sale, testing batteries is a reasonable request.
Seriously, all due respect Major. I just have a different opinion. That's all.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
With all due respect Major, your advice sounds a lot like what you fell someone going to Vegas. "Only bet what you can afford to lose." "Risk v return".
This isn't gambling. The number one concern in buying a used cart is the condition of the batteries. Any owner of an electric cart knows that.
Now, not withstanding the possibility of testing without taking the cables off, there is a difference between that and poking wholes in a floorboard. A wrench and about 5 minutes and the whole process would be done.
Further, of course permission would be asked first.
Now, since you brought it up, I'm sure as a dealership salesperson, you had occasion to educate a customer on the perils of pursuing a private sale. Further, you may have even advised someone to go get a mechanic to checkout the car before they buy it.
So, if cables don't need to come off to fully test the batteries, that's awesome, but even if the do, that's not invasive or damaging. If you are selling a project cart, I get your point. If you are selling me a fully operational cart, as a private sale, testing batteries is a reasonable request.
Seriously, all due respect Major. I just have a different opinion. That's all.

You do serve a good point also sir. And I do see the argument from both sides of the field. Just offering a little "food for thought" when looking at a used cart. Just trying to show the view from a sellers perspective. -Mayor
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #24
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

It is standard practice to do a pre buy inspection on an airplane. From a multi million dollar jet to the smallest single seat model. This inspection includes disassemble of the airplane to inspect.

I will not buy a new auto without putting it on a rack and inspection. You would be supprized what you can find. And he'll yes I still kick the **** tires.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #25
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

It all really comes down to tact when doing the inspection. You can't be insulting and basically tell the owner "Hey, I'm gonna check to see it you screwed this thing up before I buy it!" You also don't wanna just trust everything that the buyer says is true to be so. Just because WE would be fair and square when selling something doesn't mean that someone else will be - I've walked away from plenty of deals because after close inspection I found the owner was lying to me about his cart, have done the same with cars too, and even a tractor once.

I go to look at carts with voltmeter and load tester in hand, though I try to be as tactful as possible and usually ask the seller first before hooking either of them up. I check the date code first, of course, and if they're inside of a year I usually don't even bother. If he doesn't want me to use the tester, then I assume he has something to hide and walk away. A cart is a big investment, and batteries are too - unless you're prepared to sink over $600 in batteries on top of the cart price, you should make sure you know the batteries are good.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #26
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Load checking the batteries is fine IMO. I do it when I buy carts and people have done it when buying from me. You do not have to remove any cables to do this though. The owner should have no problem. A lot of times I will talk them through what I am doing and its a bit of a learning thing.

Who buys a " restored" classic car without checking for rust? If it has been restored I expect to find none.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #27
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
Load checking the batteries is fine IMO. I do it when I buy carts and people have done it when buying from me. You do not have to remove any cables to do this though. The owner should have no problem. A lot of times I will talk them through what I am doing and its a bit of a learning thing.

Who buys a " restored" classic car without checking for rust? If it has been restored I expect to find none.
The guy from the appraisal company was an idiot. Not a car guy at all. All he knew is was what was in his his company handbook he had with him. There was no rust at all. Really nice car. -Mayor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

I'm with you. But if you were buying that cart from me, would you check the floorpans, ddoorsills and trunk for rust?

That is a sweet ride
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #29
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bringing up airplanes and restored cars , now we are talking the difference between buying diamonds and broken glass. I see no problem with putting a car on the rack and pulling tires to ck. for wear and tear on a 15000 dollar used BMW .But if I am selling you my used club car with 2 year old batts. I don't want you pulling cables load test voltmeter all good. But if I let every tire kicker pull my cables somthins gonna go wrong at some point. I have good dealings on CL and I've had many many tirekickers on CL and they will easily waist alot of my valuable time....Oh and its MAYOR NOT MAJOR.....just sayin....
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #30
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPABEAR1 View Post
Bringing up airplanes and restored cars , now we are talking the difference between buying diamonds and broken glass. I see no problem with putting a car on the rack and pulling tires to ck. for wear and tear on a 15000 dollar used BMW .But if I am selling you my used club car with 2 year old batts. I don't want you pulling cables load test voltmeter all good. But if I let every tire kicker pull my cables somthins gonna go wrong at some point. I have good dealings on CL and I've had many many tirekickers on CL and they will easily waist alot of my valuable time....Oh and its MAYOR NOT MAJOR.....just sayin....
Exactly lil difference in price between golf carts and Cars & Airplanes . Totally different protocol . And for all the guys all about removing cables what would you do if you stripped or broke a post , shorted something out , etc .while doing this inspection ? Buy him one battery ? a whole set since that is a no no in electric carts ? You are opening yourself up for problems "trying" to save a buck in my opinion - Mayor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car