lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: series cart only runs with jump wire on solenoid

It sounds like your controller, FNR, motor, etc are working fine, and the previous owner just bypassed the solenoid, since you said the jumper was 4 gauge. You also said the solenoid clicks every time, which means the low current solenoid activation circuit is working. I'd suspect the solenoid, or some weird wiring on the high current side. Hard to do remote control trouble-shooting.

Bypassing the solenoid is not recommended, for safety reasons, but they can be known to weld shut, which is what your bypass is emulating.

Not the safest way to run, but if it works, and you have no kids to worry about, I - not most on this site - would keep the bypass until you can figure out what is wrong with your solenoid. If it tests bad, get a heavier duty one from ScottyB.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The solenoid is there as a very important safety feature! It's ok to bypass during troubleshooting but it's not ok to run that way. You can end up with a runaway cart at full throttle if the controller fails in a certain manner.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Agreed, thus my disclaimer. With no gas applied, FNR in Neutral, or the key off, the controller will not supply any juice to the motor. I also said he needs to find and fix the problem, but I drove a 70 Mopar with the brake master cylinder in my garage, so I'm not the safest driver. Savannah is pretty flat and I had my emergency brakes tuned up to be "good enough".

Also, a welded solenoid will cause the same situation.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Tamster
Not Yet Wild

So should I just get a heavy duty solenoid and put that on? I don't want to keep it on there for safety reasons as everyone has said. That's what I was told by the original owner was the problem which is why it was jumped but I put a new one in and it still didn't work without the jump wire after the install. So I thought maybe it was something else, but after getting everyone's input I think I'll just go ahead and get a heavy duty one and hope that's the problem. Thank you everyone for all the advice and input it has helped tremendously! Any suggestions on which brand or where to get a good one?
Tamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 AM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Thats the convenient thing about the curtis/albright contactor used in many clubcar & star carts (many others too). You can open, inspect and clean the contacts, and determine if they are acceptable, or the cause of your problem. The drawback, the contacts are not shielded from the contaminants in the open air that cause errosion of the surfaces when a arc is made or broken. If i were building my own (and bean-counters had no say), a inert gas filled kilovac or tyco would be my choice to keep the contacts pure.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #16
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is some of the poorest troubleshooting.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamster View Post
So should I just get a heavy duty solenoid and put that on? I don't want to keep it on there for safety reasons as everyone has said. That's what I was told by the original owner was the problem which is why it was jumped but I put a new one in and it still didn't work without the jump wire after the install. So I thought maybe it was something else, but after getting everyone's input I think I'll just go ahead and get a heavy duty one and hope that's the problem. Thank you everyone for all the advice and input it has helped tremendously! Any suggestions on which brand or where to get a good one?
Post a photo so we're sure what you're talking about.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
This is some of the poorest troubleshooting.
Who, me? I asked whether it was the smaller wires or the larger cables that were jumpered, and asked if it always clicked. Also asked for a continuity test.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #19
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Who, me? I asked whether it was the smaller wires or the larger cables that were jumpered, and asked if it always clicked. Also asked for a continuity test.

And I asked where was the jumper connected to. It's hard to troubleshoot when you have guess the situation.
mgray70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A voltmeter is needed and some voltage measurements made with the jumper wire disconnected to see what is going on with the solenoid switching power. It is either a bad connection or a bad solenoid. The solenoid has already been changed out and same results. Installing another solenoid is a waste of time without making some voltage measurements. Tamster; Do you have a voltmeter or access to one?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO