lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
sailfish
Not Yet Wild

Default marathon upgrade

I have a 87 marathon running gear is bone stock except batteries and upgraded cables, it still has a resister coil setup. I am running 22" tires with a 4" lift it does good but would like a little more speed. This cart is used to ride to the pool and marina basically a neighborhood cruiser all on flat asphalt roads. The marina is about a mile and sometimes make several trips a day so speed has become an issue. What would be a good starting point? change to series? bigger motor?
This was my grandfathers cart he bought it new so there is lost of sentamental value but don't want to spend a fortune changing stuff. Thanks in advance for any pointers on upgrading!
sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: marathon upgrade

A speed upgrade is likely gonna require a motor swap. That is where the problems start, the resistor coil setup is already overtaxed with the oversize tires. Adding a higher performance motor with the current control system is a bad idea in my opinion. does your motor face sideways, or front-to-back in cart. If its sideways, i would go to a ezgo place and ask about a stock "high speed" motor Used. It will get you a few more mph, without needing a huge controller and high dollar motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
sailfish
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CG the motor is sideways or inline with the axle! from what i have found its alot of $$$ to change the hole setup so just looking for options. I'll check about a stock speed motor!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Not suggesting changing it, the axle you have is preferred, it has the most options for motors.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
sailfish
Not Yet Wild

Gotta CG, i understand but at least you've giving something i didn't know about.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO