lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
GarryM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Resistor Coil glowing orange!

As I continue to work thru the 91' Marathon, noticed the resistor coil is glowing orange and smoking. Again, looked over the wiring diagrams and here is what I found our resistor coil pack looks like:

First bolt is totally missing and there is hole in plate. The 3rd bolt wasn't even hooked up and wire just laying there. I've reattached wire to the third bolt, but have no way to contact that first bolt.

I'm no expert on these resistor cowls, but I'm gonna believe not having first one is draining the batteries quickly as well as creating the coil pack to glow orange. No?

Plan is to pull resistor coil pack off cart and inspect, I'm gonna believe will need to buy 3 new coils? Where can you get wires from the resistor coils to contact board as well as to the electric motor? I've looked around but can't seem to locate. Trying to price all this out for the parts.

Again, thanks for any advice or help.

-Garry
GarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Resistor Coil glowing orange!

get the entire assembly
EZGO 1986-93 Complete Resistor Coil Assembly

http://www.golfcartking.com/EZGO-Res...bly-p/2699.htm

get cables on e-bay
Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Im my experience with resistor coil cars (my experience with these is mostly early yamaha, ezgo, and harley), usually caused by a main solenoid being welded in the on position, or a bent or broken microswitch that controlls the solenoid. I saw both of your posts, and this is likely the root of all your troubles. Dont forget to check the "activation circuit" solenoid and microswitch when replacing wiper & resistors.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
crash test dummy

solenoid test
Quote:
Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. remove all wires, restorer , and diode from solenoid
test 1
Connect an volt meter, set on continuity, place on the two large terminal studs. The meter should indicate no continuity, Replace the solenoid if continuity is present.
test 2
Using jumper wires attach from main positive and main negative of battery pack to the two small solenoid studs, polarity is not important. You should hear a click as the solenoid engages, and the meter should indicate continuity on the two large terminals. Replace the solenoid if continuity is not present.
if solenoid clicks rapidly solenoid is bad
Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would go with the whole set. Just replace them all and the wires. If you really wanted to make it right, you could swap the cart over to a solid state and get rid of it all.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
GarryM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tculpepper View Post
I would go with the whole set. Just replace them all and the wires. If you really wanted to make it right, you could swap the cart over to a solid state and get rid of it all.
Idea is to get all new resistors , not just buy one or two. I'm having difficulty locating the wiring for the resistors to the control board and motor. Keep finding battery cables but not these. Hrm..

Oh and have read about the conversion, but when your a single Dad raising two preteen daughters - we are on a budget. As long as can get cart running correctly my girls will be happy!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
crash test dummy

you will use "battery" cables ...
will send link

you go mail

Last edited by crash test dummy; 05-10-2015 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: jjjj
Old 05-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
GarryM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you will use "battery" cables ...
will send link

you go mail
Thanks appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey, I understand working on a budget! Most everything I've done to my cart, I either made myself or found cheap/free. And Crash is right. Just use battery cables the correct length.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO