lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48v to 12v Converter, recognize? and Yellow wire

Greetings All:

First, thanks for all the great knowledge shared on this site. I've purchased a great looking re-manufactured 2010 TXT. The shop that did the refurb put a 30amp 48v to 12 v converter to power the headlights they also added. What I'd like to change is to make the converter only work if they key is on, such that the headlights (and future add-ons) will only work if they key is on. I see that they connected both the red and yellow wires from the converter to the positive post of the battery pack. Am I correct in assuming that the yellow wire is the trigger wire for the converter? I don't have the instructions and there is no manufacture's name on the converter. If I'm right about the yellow wire, can you tell me where on the solenoid to put the yellow wire? I've attached pics of the converter and the solenoid. All thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

[edit to add: output wires are green and black, green being hot]

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151203_115950168_HDR-SM.jpg (222.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151206_125039601-SM1.jpg (203.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151206_125129414-SM2.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151206_150025258-SM.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 48v to 12v Converter, recognize? and Yellow wire

I would pull the converter out of the cart and look at the back to see if there is a diagram. On mine the yellow is switched but who knows
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Angry Re: 48v to 12v Converter, recognize? and Yellow wire

I have a converter like that....the YELLOW wire is the trigger wire. I too, wanted mine to be ON only when I went it to, not all the time, like yours is now. there is an easy solution. you put a switch (on/off like a toggle switch) in the RED wire going to the + of the battery.....this way, the only time its powered up is when YOU turn it on. This is exactly how I set mine up.....works like a champ, and has for the last 2 1/2 years ever since I put it in.

DC to DC Converter.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
If I'm right about the yellow wire, can you tell me where on the solenoid to put the yellow wire?

Mike
Do not attach the yellow convertor wire to the solenoid because the convertor will shut down every time you let off the accel. pedal. You need to attach it to the wire on the ignition circuit that becomes energized when you turn the key on.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached are the schematic and the wiring diagram for a 2010 48V TXT. (Curtis 1206-HB SepEx controller)

I've been reading schematics and wiring diagrams for more than half a century and it appears that the yellow wire attached to one of the solenoid's small terminals is "Hot" whenever the key is on, but to be sure, measure it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT schematic .JPG (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TXT 48V TCT wiring harness .JPG (89.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

First let me say thank you to one and all.

Sir Nuke, I like the idea but am concerned I won't remember to turn that toggle switch off. That said, I think I'm going to put that in as a manual override anyway.

I don't mind fishing a wire down from the key, but I guess I thought the solenoid had a terminal that would become hot with the key on, and dead with the key off. Goes to show you what I know about solenoids. LOL. Thanks for the schematic JB and I'll get out my DVM and see what I can learn about the solenoid and my idea of "what it does." My original thinking was just that the solenoid was closer and easier than the back of the key.

Thank you again to everyone for your input. They were all very good suggestions.

Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All very good suggestions, but one thing to remember if you have a radio that needs power for the memory you will lose radio memory when the converter is turned off and they do not draw very much power if left on.
Just a thought
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
First let me say thank you to one and all.

Sir Nuke, I like the idea but am concerned I won't remember to turn that toggle switch off. That said, I think I'm going to put that in as a manual override anyway.

I don't mind fishing a wire down from the key, but I guess I thought the solenoid had a terminal that would become hot with the key on, and dead with the key off. Goes to show you what I know about solenoids. LOL. Thanks for the schematic JB and I'll get out my DVM and see what I can learn about the solenoid and my idea of "what it does." My original thinking was just that the solenoid was closer and easier than the back of the key.

Thank you again to everyone for your input. They were all very good suggestions.

Mike
Mike.....I had the same concern.....forgetting to turn it off that is. There is a easy solution. The swi8tch I used has a LIGHT in it, so when its ON, the light is ON. when its off, so is the switches light. You can get one at any decent auto parts stores and can get them in lots of different colors.

toggle.jpg

mine is right next to my light switch.....its very easy to see and no whether its on or off.

Cockpit 2.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke

I love that idea. I thought you placed the switch under the seat... and I just knew I'd forget about it down there.

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

note for any RXV folks.

DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING TO RXV KEYSWITCH !!!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO