lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #21
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How hot should a motor get?

120°c=248°f

150°c=302°f
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This does not apply to all motors by any means, but the Ezgo RXV begins to de-rate power at 120°c motor temp, and is totally done moving under its own power at 150°c.
Where does the RXV sense the motor temperature?

The numbers I gave were for measuring the temperature at the case. If the Temperature of a RXV motor is being sensed within the windings themselves, and it has Class-H insulation, the max is 180°C (356°F)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Inside the windings. And its a PITA too, when the sensor fails, the sensor cant be changed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #24
Helirich
Gone Wild

I don't know much about the temp a motor can take. But I always heard "you can just keep your hand on 140F". I have verified this testing with several people. I don't know any horse shoe handlers.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #25
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

The case (stator) temperature of the motor will never coincide with the rotor (armature), commutator or brush temperature. For most of us, we will never be able to accurately measure anything but the case temperature. Its just not practical for us to measure temperature on a rotating part, such as a commutator or rotor. Even though the brushes are stationary their carbon composition makes accurate measurements difficult since carbon has a low thermal transfer rate. One end of your brush could be at 500 F and the other end could be 120 F , it all depends on where you measure it.

With all that crap said, monitoring case temperature is about the best we have. Human hands is a terrible way to guesstimate temperature. We all have different thermal thresholds we will tolerate. My wife feels actual pain at 125- 130 F, my hands can tolerate 185+ F for short periods without any damage or pain. At 212-220+ I can only hold things long enough to move them around and let them go. I have witnessed guys bare handed moving, manipulating and working with metal at 285-300 F without pain or burn/injury. I wish I had a thermal imaging camera back then just to see what was really happening.

Infrared thermometers are dirt cheap now, and surprisingly accurate. You can get a K type thermocouple and display for under $15 on eBay, Theres no reason to not know what temperature your motor is reaching. Just measure your case temp and assume the rotor, brush and commutator temps will be higher and go from there.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think the best place to measure is on the case near the armature terminals. That is the hottest part of my motor.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Inside the windings. And its a PITA too, when the sensor fails, the sensor cant be changed.
Have you tried faking it with a sensor attached to the motor case?

That would nullify the controller's motor protection feature of reducing power at 120°C and shutting down at 150°C, so the motor could overheat and fail, but you have to replace the motor to replace the embedded sensor anyways.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Have you tried faking it with a sensor attached to the motor case?

That would nullify the controller's motor protection feature of reducing power at 120°C and shutting down at 150°C, so the motor could overheat and fail, but you have to replace the motor to replace the embedded sensor anyways.
Never had to, the few i have seen were still under warranty . I will try that eventually. The sensor is not sold seperate, so a kludge would be in order. I have just hammed a resistor on it to see if the "motor temp" code would go away/verify its not a harness problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #29
holeinone Bill
Not Yet Wild

I am going to buy an IR heat next. My motor runs hot and stops suddenly after running for 20 minutes. I wait a while and the cart runs fine. Thought it was the motor winding opening up but I'm not sure. By the time I get towed, Jack up the cart and set up to check the motor (jump A1 to S1, 12V to A2 S2) the cart is back to running good. Chasing my tail. Any thoughts?
holeinone Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #30
holeinone Bill
Not Yet Wild

Does the NPX 4834EZ have a high temperature cutout that will reset by itself?
holeinone Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO