lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
TTB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Please help! Clutch issues?

My 2001 DS gasser is having some issues........I installed a six inch lift and 14 inch tires etc and everything was normal.......then a few months ago I got a severe duty belt and heavy duty clutch spring installed and ever since it jerks off the start in forward or reverse.......its like there is a delay when you accelerate and then bam!! Big jerk on take off

I took the original spring into a local golf cart place to get them to take out the heavy duty one and talk to them about it and they swear up and down that it's just a coincidence and that the problem is my "driven clutch"

I have researched and also seen stuff about generator starter brushes, machining the clutches, you name it

I just want a smooth take off!!

Any advice?
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Please help! Clutch issues?

It's a combination of both the severe duty belt, and the spring...
I have that belt... it grips like nobody's business!
I bought the 300 RPM drive clutch spring, but I never put it in just for the reason that your experiencing,
the belt alone gives me a jolt on take off, I didn't want to add to it!

Tell them you just would like to "try it" with just the belt, and your old spring back in!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree it's a combination of both. I have both and it is very jerky accelerating. Labor wise just for a test it's would be a lot quicker and easier to just put the stock belt on there with that spring. In the long run though if you had to choose 1 or the other id say you'd want the severe duty belt.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

By the condition you are describing I'm assuming you replaced the spring in the drive clutch? You will find the original drive spring with a machined driven clutch with HD spring will give you a smooth take off, lots of torque. Both with a standard or severe duty belt. The severe duty belt will last longer and give better wet belt performance.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
TTB
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
By the condition you are describing I'm assuming you replaced the spring in the drive clutch? You will find the original drive spring with a machined driven clutch with HD spring will give you a smooth take off, lots of torque. Both with a standard or severe duty belt. The severe duty belt will last longer and give better wet belt performance.

Can you or anyone else explain what "machined" means please?

What's the difference in machining it or just getting a new one? My local guy is saying around $350 to install a new one.

And to be clear you are saying with a machined driven clutch I could keep the HD spring in the drive clutch and achieve the smoother take off? I'm kind of confused about the HD spring part of your comment. Thanks!!!
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

The rear clutch is machined to allow it to come together farther pushing belt farther out to a larger diameter. It changes your starting gear or actually "belt ratio". it will give you more torque than a new clutch can provide. I personally don't care for the spring in the drive clutch because of the lurch, I was refering to the HD spring in the DRIVEN clutch.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car