lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Axisguy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Glow Shift tachometer install

I have been reading up on several past threads about installing tachometers. I found a lot of good information but have not found anything that refers to the glow shift tachometer using the negative side of the coil. Here is the picture.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1466041472

I am sure someone smarter than I am has probably figured out the best way to wire one up. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.6 KB, 0 views)
Axisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
mxlover94
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Glow Shift tachometer install

Are you set on putting the glowshift tach on your cart? I have gotten tach's from my local NAPA store and it works great! Its only one wire that you wrap around the spark plug wire and you can mount it anywhere you would like. If I recall it was ~$40.
mxlover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Axisguy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Only reason I chose the glow shift was that I needed a 2" gauge to go in my dash and they make one that has a dial reading as well as a digital reading. I was hoping that someone else may have already tackled this issue.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Axisguy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Here is an update on the tach install. This was about as easy as it comes. The tach came with five wires; yellow, red, black, orange and green. The yellow wire is 12v constant source that ties into the red wire (2) on the key switch. The red wire is 12v switched ignition source it ties into the blue wire (1) on the key switch. Next is the black ground and I tied it to the black wire (M-) on the switch. The orange wire ties into the headlights so it will dim when the lights are turned on. This wire is optional. The last wire is the green that the instructions tell you to put on the negative side of the coil. After studying my wiring diagram for the cart, I came to the realization that this is the same point as the white/black wire (M+) on the key switch. It is installed and running great.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

do you know if that tach will work on 2 stroke motors?
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Axisguy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

There is a Cylinder selection switch on the back of this tach for 1 to 10 cylinders. However I had to play around with this for awhile to the tach to read correct. When I put mine on 1 cylinder it read way too high. I finally put the selector on 4 and it seemed to read correct. I was reading around 3700 RPMs which I believe is where it should be. I am by no means as knowledgeable as some other folks on here but that seems about right. So to answer your question, if I set mine on 4 for a four stroke engine then I would think it would work on a two stroke engine. But that's just my thoughts.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Rjtehan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When you said yours was at 3700. Is that when the rev limiter kicked in? I just installed a glowshift in place of a cheap one wire tach, and set on 4 cyl its close but when I get going higher speeds it seems like I'm going faster than I should at the rpms
Rjtehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car