lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Malfunctionong hill brake, 2003 DS

The hill brake on my 2003 CC DS seems to be perpetually activated. Whenever you tromp the main brake, it stays down until you hit the accelerator, which releases it. I believe the problem is the little pawl (part 18 in the attachment) that engages the ratchet on the accelerator. It is corroded and does not rotate. PB Blaster did not free it, and I could not move it with a wrench. I have two questions:

1. How is the hill brake supposed to function? I assume that it should not automatically engage when the main brake pedal is pushed. I assume that it should release when the accelerator pedal is pushed. Other than the accelerator pedal, is there any other way to disengage it (i.e., should it disengage if the main pedal is pushed)?

2. Is this little pawl tough to remove? I noticed it is not listed as an available part.

As an aside, I worked on the brake pedal over the Labor Day holiday. The brake mounting blocks were almost seized onto the horizontal tube that carries the brake pedal arm and actuates the brake cables. The return spring would not raise the brake pedal (we had been lifting it by hand). In fact, corrosion and crud had grooved both the nylon blocks and the "journals" formed by the tube. I cleaned everything up and lubricated it with marine grease (Evinrude Triple Guard: great stuff). Hill brake problem aside, the main brake pedal now seems to work fine. I dread taking the rear brakes apart!

Thanks to all of the sponsors and contributors for this wonderful site!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Image2.gif (85.3 KB, 0 views)
jsmith294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Malfunctionong hill brake, 2003 DS

Grab a 1/2" wrench and tighten the nut on the "corn-cob". The "corn-cob" is the coil spring with the rod running through it that brings the accelerator up when you release it. It's under the cart right in the center. Just barely tighten the nut until the brake no longer grabs.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Malfunctionong hill brake, 2003 DS

Thanks, Dawg; I'll give it a try.
jsmith294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car