lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Dirty batteries

I used my cart for hunting exclusively. It spends a lot of time driving down dusty roads and fields full of straw and seeds. I can take a leaf blower and clean most but a caking or coating of dust is on the battery tops. How can I best remove this?

I don;t want to use a water hose as I don't want to soak the compartment. I have thought about a hand brush and a bucket of water. I have thought about adding baking soda. I would disconnect the battery flow and turn to tow.

Is there something better or is this something I should do in another manner? I am concerned about getting water in batteries.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dirty batteries

I use a battery spray on foaming cleaner from Deka and a water hose. I cover the controller and F&R with grocery type plastic bags & masking tape. Apply the Deka cleaner to the battery tops and terminals, taking care not to force the spray into the battery cap vent holes Wait 5-10 minutes while the Deka solution dissolves corrosion and grime. I use a pistol grip spay to rise, spraying in a direction away from the Controller and F&R. Don't go nuts with the water. Give a quick rinse and get the leaf blower out to remove the water. Remove the plastic coverings and admire the clean battery tops. Wipe the controller off with a soft cloth. Do this on a sunny day twice a year.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you. Juse what I needed.

As you described, I'm goin to use large garbage bags to cover evert honk but the batteries and then clean. A 52 gallon garbage can liner may be it.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Generally speaking the electronics can take a little spritz or incidental spraying without worries. Just blow off the water when done. People I have spoke to that did damage where the power washing crowd. This forces water into places it should not be.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've found a 1 gallon weed sprayer gives me more control (rate of flow, pressure and direction) than the hose. It can be used with a baking soda mix or straight water. If you wait for a sale, it can be gotten for 10 bucks or less and used for the cart only.

Also small pieces of duct tape on the cap vents help keep me out of trouble. The tape is already in my hand from covering the electronics with plastic bags. I've found I'm the perfect test subject for how idiot-proof a procedure is.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I clean the top of my batteries I borrow my grandsons watering can. It can be used very selectively because of the small spout and size. Here is a suggestion for one from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-2GAL-Pe...r-Can/38691878
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Water hose with a nozzle is all you need. Nothing crazy and hosing it off is highly advised. No need for extra cleaners of baking soda, I ve done 1000's and never once destroyed a cart.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If they are that dirty, I would just pull them out and clean them good, also clean the cart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
HarryT
Gone Wild

I agree with the Golf Cart Guy. I have been hosing off the batteries in my fleet of Golf Course carts for over five years and have never had a problem. That is a garden hose with a spray nozzle on low pressure. I usually wash them off once a month when I top them off with water. I do the same on my own golf carts.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car