lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo starts to slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailwood_shop View Post
1. so if I decide to upgrade to the alltrax xct48500 and the mzj400 solenoid as you recommended will I need to up battery voltage for those components ,or can those components still run off the 36 v that I have ,

2.and should I try the controller and solenoid before upgrading to the high torque motor or just assume it needs replaced as well ?.

3. and would I need to upgrade f&r switch or any other electrical parts with the upgrades .

and again THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP
Scotty covered it pretty well, but I'll answer your questions specifically.

1. The XCT controller works at 36V, 42V and 48V, as does the MZJ400 solenoid, so you can run at 36V now and up the battery pack voltage later.
I ran the predecessor to the XCT with a MZJ400 at 36V until it was time for me to replace the batteries and then upped the pack to 42V.

2. Yes, you can use the existing motor for the time being, but a rebuilt motor in a stock motor housing probably won't last very long driving 8:1 gears. You'll eventually need a motor with more robust heat dissipating capabilities, one with a longer longer case length. (Case length of a stock PDS motor is 8.5", not including the speed sensor.)

To offset the 36% torque loss from the 8:1 gears, select a motor with at least 30% greater than stock torque.

3. In a SepEx drive (PDS), the high current switching for F and R is done inside the controller and the F/R switch on the dash is a low current device that tells the controller what to do. No need to replace it.

All 10 of the high current cables need to be 2Ga with a 500A controller and 8:1 gears. The two thinner cables to the motor (F1 & F2) go to the field windings and only carry about 1/10 the amps the A1 & A2 and the rest of the high current cables do, so they do nor need to be replaced, unless they are damaged.

-----------
My first electrical upgrade was 2Ga cables, then controller and solenoid, then I upped battery pack voltage, then I replaced the stock motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
the cart

that drop looks real nice! my kinda build...

jonnie and scotty will put you right on target...you do what they suggest and you may need surgery to remove the smile on your face-
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
quailwood_shop
Not Yet Wild

After asking for help last time I received some really good advice on how to fix my problem and it was much appreciated but I still have the same problem going on so I need more help. I have now upgraded the controller to xct48400 and the solenoid to a mzj400 and have replaced all the battery cables and motor cables to 2 gauge wire with soldered copper lugs / brand new batteries / 8:1 gears / jakes power reducer for accessories such as lights and radio / it has upgraded magnet in the motor /the cart has 235-35-12 on it with a three inch lowering kit . is it possible the new controller has to be programed?
quailwood_shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
quailwood_shop
Not Yet Wild

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you can go online to alltrax and update the controller.... pm scottyB for details.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
quailwood_shop
Not Yet Wild

thanks
Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
After asking for help last time I received some really good advice on how to fix my problem and it was much appreciated but I still have the same problem going on so I need more help. I have now upgraded the controller to xct48400 and the solenoid to a mzj400 and have replaced all the battery cables and motor cables to 2 gauge wire with soldered copper lugs / brand new batteries / 8:1 gears / jakes power reducer for accessories such as lights and radio / it has upgraded magnet in the motor /the cart has 235-35-12 on it with a three inch lowering kit . is it possible the new controller has to be programed?
You can program your XCT controller by plugging a laptop into it via a USB cable. The programming software and instruction manual can be downloaded (Free) from the Alltrax website.

Using something other than the stock (8-pole) speed magnet might be an issue since motor RPM is one of the factors the XCT-PDS field mapping is based on. With 18.5" tall tires and 8:1 gears, your motor is only spinning at 145.5 RPM per MPH and with a 4-pole magnet, the controller is trying to adjust field current for a motor that it thinks is only turning at half that RPM.

Fortunately a 4-pole magnet is one of the programming options. See bottom-right of attached screen capture. Try the 4-pole setting.

Also, ask Alltrax or Scotty if there is a field map that will work better with a stock motor and 8:1 gears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller Tab - Bottom.jpg (160.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
quailwood_shop
Not Yet Wild

when programming the xct48400 . should there be battery pack voltage to the controller ?
I know the laptop will power controller without battery cables connected to batteries. currently I have done nothing with the programming I have only disconnected the negative from the batteries and plugged in the controller to the lap top the green light flashes the throttle code . I fail to understand (KSI) and (under voltage) as well as (over voltage) . I hope this is not a dumb question to ask LOL . I have no doubt I can figure this out I just lack a little understanding of the process . I am reading the manual I downloaded but it is not as descriptive as I need it to be LOL thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Plug the laptop into the controller and see the LED light come on, and open the controller software and go to the bottom of page 1. Find and uncheck enable speed limit. If the cart runs okay with this simple program change the motor speed magnet has failed or the motor speed magnet pole selection is incorrect or the magnet wiring is a problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The fog clears with time.

You can program the controller on the bench with only the laptop connected, or when installed in the cart with all wires and cables attached.

KSI = Key Switch Interlock. It's the minimum pack voltage needed for the controller to run the motor. For a 36V pack, anything below 30V is fine.

Under voltage: The pack voltage drops when amps are drawn and at about 1.5VPC (Volts per Cell) irreversible damage to the plates starts occurring, so that is the point I have mine set at. That is 28V for a 36V pack.

Over voltage: Controller shuts down if exceeded. Higher than battery pack voltage occurs during regen braking, which can damage some type of batteries. like AGM and Lithium. If you have Flooded Wet cell batteries, set it to max.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO