lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
Racerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 36v marathon new parts electrical dummy

Just bought a. Street and put it in. It is showing 6.2 volts and entire bank is showing 37.8 volts. Put the charger on it and the guage is acting correctly. I did turn on key and hit pedal to see if wheels would turn just to give me an idea if this was only problem of if I had screwed something else up while chasing this. They did not. While I understand I just started charging it that it could still be very low I would think it would at least turn the wheels with them off the ground. So here are a couple of questions that you may know.

1) does this seem correct to have a jumper wire on the new motor? I am attaching a couple of pics of the jumper and if the label saying to do it on the motor (seems if it should be jumped then that would be part of the new motor???)

2) does this thing need the varistor capacitor on the controller between connections B- and B+ to run (I had read somewhere that it did not) and this part (mine is broken) is ordered and will. It be here until next week .... funny - it was ordered the same day as the controller from China that was here in 4 days... this part is in North Carlolina.

Thanks for any input
Racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Newer carts have an interlock that will not allow the cart to run when the charger is plugged into the cart. I can't remember if this is true for the Marathon models or not but it is likely true. Anyway lets assume it is true for now so the cart not running with the charger plugged in is normal. Charger doesn't have to be charging--just plugged in.

Most trouble shooting is invalid unless the batteries have enough amperage both resting and under load to run the cart.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
Racerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Newer carts have an interlock that will not allow the cart to run when the charger is plugged into the cart. I can't remember if this is true for the Marathon models or not but it is likely true. Anyway lets assume it is true for now so the cart not running with the charger plugged in is normal. Charger doesn't have to be charging--just plugged in.

Most trouble shooting is invalid unless the batteries have enough amperage both resting and under load to run the cart.

Thanks man. I just have it charging for now. Will see what it will do in a couple of hours. Don't know why pics would not upload. I may not have been on here long enough or contributed enough yet. Another forum I am on for motorcycles is that way.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, there is a minimum requirement for posting pics. Don't remember what it is but it doesn't take long to meet it as I recall.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Let the charger complete. Then unplug charger from cart and replug it after complete charge, several times back to back. This may take several days, but you can test the cart on jack stands after the first complete charge.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
Racerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys ... y'all are great!!! I appreciate the help!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #17
Racerjoe
Not Yet Wild

Here goes. I went out and charger was off. I unplugged and plugged back up and it showed that it needed to be charged completely. I unplugged it and tried to press pedal - nothing. I plugged it back up. I got under cart and felt of the wires on the motor (I have not felt good about the jumper wire the sticker on the motor said to put between A1 and S2 since I did it) A1 wire was warm. I took the jumper wire back off and turn the key on and pushed the pedal and the motor ran - spinning the tire. I flipped the reverse switch and it ran the other way. All this while charger was connected. So it looked like I have spent 800 bucks on a 500 dollar golf cart but it is something I have to have at the lake.

A couple of notes.
1) I'm not calling it a success until I ride around the camp at the lake for a bit after a couple of full charges.

2) now I know what I am looking for as far as battery condition goes

3) Marathons (at least in 1992) will run with the charger connected and on

4) you guys are fantastic and I wish I would have come here much sooner

5) I plan to read much more from this forum as time slows so maybe I won't. E so electronically stupid

6) I think y'all saved my weekend at the lake - I can't walk up and down the hill anymore!

7) it will run without that varistor capacitor
(Anyone know what its purpose is and will it hurt to run it this weekend without it???

Thank you guys and I will report back after this weekend and let you know what it is doing
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Keep the batteries charged. They don't like to sit in a partially discharged condition. Plug it up every day when you're done with it.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Racerjoe
Not Yet Wild

That is one of the problems. The cart stays at the lake most of the time and the power stays off at the lake. The charger stays locked in a building (people steal things) so I do try and charge it good before I leave but it may sit a month without being charged :(
Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerjoe View Post
That is one of the problems. The cart stays at the lake most of the time and the power stays off at the lake. The charger stays locked in a building (people steal things) so I do try and charge it good before I leave but it may sit a month without being charged :(
This scenario will greatly shorten your battery pack life.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO