lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Replaced Bearings Still Squeaking​

My 87 Marathon had an awful squeak on the right rear axle when on the throttle. When coasting it doesn't squeak only when on the accelerator. So I just had my bearings replaced 2 days ago and it fixed the squeak for about a day. Now it's immediately squeaking again just as bad with supposedly new bearings. Not really a mechanically inclined person but what do I do? It's annoying as people can hear me coming before they see me!
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replaced Bearings Still Squeaking​

Possibly brakes rubbing?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Possibly brakes rubbing?
I'm not sure. Just had the brake pads/drums and brake cables replaced on it as well same time as the bearings.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can you record the sound on your phone? Call yourself and leave a message. I know it's hard to describe a "squeak" but maybe a recording of the sound can help.

If it's not too hard, you may want to take it back to the folks who "fixed" it.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Can you record the sound on your phone? Call yourself and leave a message. I know it's hard to describe a "squeak" but maybe a recording of the sound can help.

If it's not too hard, you may want to take it back to the folks who "fixed" it.
Yeah I'll do that tonight. Probably easier to make a video of the sound. A big golf cart dealership did the repairs.. authorized ezgo, club car, and yamaha dealer. I may take it back to them if they'll fix it for free this time.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok here is the recording of the sound. The only time it stops squeaking is when I let off the throttle. It's the same sound it made before I got new bearings installed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HvDgijiOA8
Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Been researching on here. Looks like it's a fairly common ezgo problem. I have found some possible solutions..Others have fixed the problem by jacking it up, removing the hub, lubing the splines up with axle grease or antiseize. One guy suggested putting white lithium on the splines. Then when putting it back together making sure the hub nut is extra tight, and not backing off but tightening it more to get the cotter pin back in. Thoughts on all this?

Other say it could be a dirty hub, bent rim, or a bent axle. So if anyone has anymore advice for me please chime in!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm at a loss. I would have bet brakes rubbing, but that doesn't explain the fact that it stops when you let off the "gas". Out of round hubs are not uncommon, which sounds kind of like what is on your video. Download the manuals for your cart, they have the torque requirements, which is pretty tight. Also check lug nuts for a loose one. Years ago, my brother got his brakes done at a reputable shop, but putting the lug nuts must have occurred at break time, as they were only hand tight.

Great video, by the way. Clears up the problem better than words alone. Also, shows it's only on one side and stops while coasting. Take it back, if it isn't too difficult. If it's the brakes, mine eventually quit, after it wore out the shoes or hub where it was rubbing.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
Been researching on here. Looks like it's a fairly common ezgo problem. I have found some possible solutions..Others have fixed the problem by jacking it up, removing the hub, lubing the splines up with axle grease or antiseize. One guy suggested putting white lithium on the splines. Then when putting it back together making sure the hub nut is extra tight, and not backing off but tightening it more to get the cotter pin back in. Thoughts on all this?

Other say it could be a dirty hub, bent rim, or a bent axle. So if anyone has anymore advice for me please chime in!

This was my thought-I know you said you took it to a big shop, the problem is the 8 dollar an hour guy still doesn't know what he is doing.

I would also have looked at where the bearing is on the axle and make sure the axle is not worn. If it is, the bearing "rocks" on the axle shaft and will kill a new bearing very quickly.

I would take it back to the shop, they missed something easy and should take care of it under warranty.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks y'all I will check the hub nut and lug nuts today and lube everything up while I have it off.. Then tighten everything back up. I'll keep you posted!

Tags
axle, bearings, squeak
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO