lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
TCATL
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 EZGO RXV only runs at full charge

So I got an 2009 EZGO RXV used. I was told it "doesn't run for long." One of the batteries had a hole burned through it and they were all 6+ years old.

I replaced all the batteries with brand new Trojan batteries (4 x 12 volts). Then it seemed to run great. We didn't charge it very often and eventually the meter got to about 3/4 and it would barely crawl. We charged it up and it would work again but it seems to not want to go unless it is 98-100% charged. I then replaced the Solenoid and got the same problem so it wasn't the solenoid. Sometimes at initial start it will crawl for a second then jump forward and run normally for that trip. We have fewer problems if it is charged constantly but there still seems to be something wrong.
TCATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV only runs at full charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCATL View Post
So I got an 2009 EZGO RXV used. I was told it "doesn't run for long." One of the batteries had a hole burned through it and they were all 6+ years old.

I replaced all the batteries with brand new Trojan batteries (4 x 12 volts). Then it seemed to run great. We didn't charge it very often and eventually the meter got to about 3/4 and it would barely crawl. We charged it up and it would work again but it seems to not want to go unless it is 98-100% charged. I then replaced the Solenoid and got the same problem so it wasn't the solenoid. Sometimes at initial start it will crawl for a second then jump forward and run normally for that trip. We have fewer problems if it is charged constantly but there still seems to be something wrong.
It sounds like you kept it undercharged way too much and the batteries sulphated. You must keep batteries fully charged or sulphation will ruin them in short order.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
JeepFreak843
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There is a bad battery if it keeps charging and never shuts off.... load test the batteries with a load tester or a voltage meter..... the way to test with a voltage meter is to first pick a battery and go + to + and -to - from battery to meter.....while holding the leads to the battery slowly hit the pedal until the solenoid clicks and see how much the battery drops..... repeat all 4 batteries.... to reset the soc or state of charge meter fully charge the batteries and disconnect the meter from the main possitive and main negitive and wait 30 seconds then reconnect
JeepFreak843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak843 View Post
There is a bad battery if it keeps charging and never shuts off.... load test the batteries with a load tester or a voltage meter..... the way to test with a voltage meter is to first pick a battery and go + to + and -to - from battery to meter.....while holding the leads to the battery slowly hit the pedal until the solenoid clicks and see how much the battery drops..... repeat all 4 batteries.... to reset the soc or state of charge meter fully charge the batteries and disconnect the meter from the main possitive and main negitive and wait 30 seconds then reconnect
Lol! I see you haven't worked on many RXVs.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
TCATL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It sounds like you kept it undercharged way too much and the batteries sulphated. You must keep batteries fully charged or sulphation will ruin them in short order.
Does this mean I need new batteries again? They are less than 4 months old.
TCATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
JeepFreak843
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cgtech how would you go about this then instead of lol and your right I have not but at least I'm trying to help.....
JeepFreak843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO