lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
CubersGolfCars702
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Exclamation '10 Club Car Precedent Alpha Body/Ultimate Light Kits Issues!

Hey Buggies,

I recently picked up spme 2010 8v Precedents and ordered some Madjax Alpha Body kits for them. I have installed the body kits and to my surprise have very nice fit-and-finish. I also purchased some Madjax "Ultimate Light Kits" in hope of installing blinkers, taillights and a horn.

On the red car; the headlights, brake lights, rear intermittent tail lights lights are working. When first installed; even though it sounded terrible, the horn worked and then stopped working after the 5th try. The front and rear turn signals DO NOT work.

On the white car; the headlights, brake lights, horn, intermittent tail lights, brake lights are working. The turn signals are not working. The lower tail lights have a glow when key is off and switch on column is set to "off" position.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined but the instructions, and online literature is very vague and doesn't help much with troubleshooting.

Any help is much appreciate, thanks in advance!
CubersGolfCars702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '10 Club Car Precedent Alpha Body/Ultimate Light Kits Issues!

Two things. The Alpha kit, which I have installed, has its own wiring harness that needs to be installed for the front and rear. You cannot use a different front or rear harness combined with the Alpha kit harness. Just making sure you knew.

Secondly, the Alpha harness does not require a relay like the other aftermarket harnesses though it’s possible to use one none the less if wanted. You’ve got live voltage constantly from your converter assuming you wired a converter. If you did not use a converter that is your issue most likely. If you did and did not use a MadJax converter, you’ve likely got live voltage feeding the light harness at all times and working it’s way to the brake/tail lights. I would check and recheck your wiring. And test the voltage at the light switch along with the voltages at the light connections when on and off. Also, it sounds like you’ve possibly wired the brakes incorrectly which could send live voltage through the system too.

While the Alpha kit is the best looking kit out there, BadJax was Mad when rolling these things out before they were tested and ready. The bodies are VERY brittle. The bracing for the front grill bracket is a joke with 1/4inch of two screws supporting the entire front cowling that was formerly supported by the cart in the stock set up.

I installed mine correctly. It works. But I had to modify a few things to get it on correctly and wired right. Not to mention if you want a clays basket with it the MadJax clays basket has to be modified to mount with enough clearance.

If you are a cart novice, or haven’t built many, I would strongly recommend calling their hotline and getting some advice. No offense intended, just cautioning You is all.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hate to say this but I stayed away from MadJax after talking to my dealer about them. They sell them and he said he had a lot of issues with their light kits. I hope you can get it working. As for the Alpha bodies I know nothing about them. I haven't found an aftermarket body that I fully like so I have stayed away. The one I do like is the Onward as I think CC nailed the design out of the park. That being said, you can't buy that body, or all I need is the from cowl, or I probably would.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Brian5117
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

HtownBlue... can you keep the bumper/light as a third light and turn signal/ horn from my MadJax Ultimate Light Kit Upgrade when attaching the alpha body kit ? I know I have to run the the new bucket harness that comes with the Alpha body kit but wasn’t sure about connectivity to components from the ultimate light kit upgrade that I put on a few years ago (specifically horn, turn signals, and front light). Thanks.
Brian5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
russ810
Not Yet Wild

Brian, I just saw this thread and you've likely moved on but for others... Yes you can add the "bumper-light" underneath the front cowl of the alpha body since it's basically the same shape as the oem bumper. The unfinished top of the bumper-light shows a bit but didn't seem to bother me. I found that it wasn't worth connecting the blinkers that are contained within the "bumper-light" since the alpha headlights have the blinkers. All I did was snip, secure and tape off all the wires other than the positive and negative wires for the main headlight. Then I wired the headlight (blue and black wires in my case) in the "bumper-light" up to the alpha harnesses' main switch. you can alternatively just grab 12v positive from one of the headlights on the alpha light kit if you don't want to connect back to the switch.
russ810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
Internetpilot
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but having just built a cart with a MadJax Alpha body I can tell you that the wiring is still an ongoing issue. According to MadJax themselves, the Alpha bucket harness basically isn't directly compatible with anything, even their own MadJax light kits, which is just crazy. But they did say that their MadJax 02-006 basic light upgrade kit is the most compatible. Unfortunately, it's seems to have been discontinued and replaced by the GTW 02-122 light kit, which is not the same and puts you back at square one. I tried ordering advertised "MadJax 02-006" kits from several different online shops, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Every single one ended up being a GTW 02-122.

Anyway, I found that the el cheapo 10LOL Light Upgrade Kit on Amazon to be almost plug-n-play and it's about half the price of MadJax 02-006 and GTW 02-122. The only thing you'll have to do if you want to use the knob on the turn signal arm to control the Alpha lights, you will have to snip the center blue wire on the 10LOL side of the harness plug (there's nothing on the Alpha side of that plug anyway), put a male blade connector on it, and then connect it to the lose brown wire on the Alpha harness that has a female blade connector. Everything else is plug-n-play -- the brakes, turn signals, even the horn (connect the loose orange and black wires on the Alpha to the horn). After weeks of banging my head against a wall, this was very welcome and at a fraction of the price.

I was disappointed the MadJax Ultimate Light Kit Plus was completely incompatible. That's MadJax's elite light kit and it doesn't work with MadJax's elite body kit? I really wanted the center bumper light in addition to the Alpha headlights, and I really wanted to be able to control all the lights (Alpha, Precedent, DRL, etc.) on the turn signal switch. Well, I wasn't able to put everything on the turn signal switch, but was able to buy an off-brand Precedent headlight by itself (no tail lights), and was able to install it in the usual spot. I put the center headlight on its own switch on the dash. I also put the Alpha DRLs on a dash switch, and since I didn't really need the center light's turn signals I made them DRLs as well and just added them to the Alpha DRL switch. So the main Alpha lights are controlled by the turn signal arm roller switch, the DRLs have their own dash switch, and the center light has it's own dash switch. I also have the hazard switch on my dash, too. Just FYI, the older model MadJax brush guard for the Precedent with the tab mounts for additional lights works perfect on the Alpha with the center headlight installed, too. If you have the center headlight, you can't use the Alpha brush guards because they have that center area covered for a winch. Don't get the Jake's brush guard -- the top bar blocks the Alpha headlights right in the middle.

One other thing to note about the Alpha wiring -- the negative and positive 12v connection for the bucket harness is in the battery bucket on each of the tail light extensions. Why they put it there, I will never know. I guess for 12v gas carts? But that's a useless location for electric carts. Precedents always have the 48-12v converters installed under the front dash -- not in the battery bucket where there's little to no room for it. So I had to run two 48v wires all the way to the front of the cart to connect to the converter and then run two 12v wires back to the bucket to connect to the tail light connections to power the whole bucket harness.

Since this thread is only about Alpha wiring, I won't get into the fiasco that was the entire body, grill, headlight, etc. install. But it was a fiasco.

Not going to lie -- wiring this cart was a pain in the posterior, and I still cannot believe that MadJax doesn't offer a light upgrade kit for their own elite body kit, but in the end it's a sweet looking cart and I really like how the light systems turned out. It's actually my wife's golf cart and I'm glad it was because if i was doing this build for just a customer I would've given up and just given them basic lights.
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought a redone 2011 Precedent in Nov 2020. Before picking it up i had the dealer install a Alpha body and light kit. The light kit was NOT the "street" kit with blinkers and horn.

The issue i had was that if the headlights were ON and i took up from a stop max speed of the cart was 8ish. If i stopped and turned the lights OFF i could do 20ish all day long. Also noticed that if i was going over 8ish and turned the lights on i could still get to 20ish but once i dropped my speed down below 8ish i couldnt get back above 8ish.

Called the dealer who agreed something wasnt right and being that the cart would limit itself to 8ish that it sounded like the speed sensor. I told him i tested it and it tested good but he still send a new one to me. I swapped it out and to my surprise i had no more issues.........for 2 weeks. Then randomly it started doing the same thing. By this time i had gotten a Curtis Handheld programmer and used it to pull the codes. Sure enough everytime i used the throttle with the lights on i would get a "Main Welded" code. Called the dealer up and he said that he would send me a solenoid. Before receiving the solenoid i ended up installing a voltage reducer. Since installing the reducer i have had no issues for months. So ultimately the fix was to unhook the lights from 2 of the batteries and install a voltage reducer. Since doing that ive not had a single issue.

2-3 weeks ago while installing a dash, radio, underbody lights, etc... i decided i was going to rip out the entire light wiring harness and rewire the lights myself. I did this for 2 reasons. One was because i wanted to control the lights the way i wanted them to work and the second was to clean up the mess of wires that the harness has.

Granted, i dont have the blinker kit nor do i want the blinker kit but making a few small changes on how the lights are hooked up makes the cart look much better if you ask me.

I have 2 light switches one is running lights and one is headlights. When the running light switch is is the DRLs, Amber Corner Lights, Raptor Grill Lights & Rear Running Lights are on. When the headlight switch is turned on the Headlights & Rear Brake Lights come on.

Also when rewiring the lights i also did away with the POS connects that they use at the lights. I replaced them with Delphi connectors.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Man I love that wire wrap material!!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Man I love that wire wrap material!!!
Thanks, there isnt an electrical job i do without it. Its called TechFlex or AlexTech.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
Peth0201
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Can anyone show how this attaches to the dash? Do I need a plug n play kit or another harness as well? This is a 2017 precedent - no light kit previously installed. I unplug the dash, and the only option is to uninstall original cart harness to plug my light harness in. Am I missing parts?

**Disregard... figured it out.
Peth0201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpha body kit, lights, madjax
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car