lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Newbie to BGW

Hello all,
I joined the site and have been lurking for awhile, and thought I'd say hi and (of course) post a question or two. I've owned a 2003 TXT for a year or so. It's pretty much a stock 36V setup. Having looked it over, here's my specs:

36V 6/6v
-"White Rodgers" solenoid
-Stock Curtis PMC "G05" controller...with "freedom chip" jumper
-Stock 18" tires/wheels, stock suspension.

I currently have on order the following mods:
-RHOX 3" drop spindle kit
-20" wheel/tire combo
-4ga cable kit

Yeah, I know I can get away with 20" on a TXT, but I want the added clearance for rear seat passengers. I was planning on running the larger tires and see if the stock controller survives. If not, I'll just get either a 400A reman, or an aftermarket 400A controller. Otherwise, I had planned to do the freedom jumper mod, only it's already installed...presumably by previous owner. When I turn the F/R switch neutral-reverse 5 times, I get no beeps from controller. I guess once it's done, it's done? GPS says we get 14-15 mph, so I don't think it's in the "freedom mode." What can I do to re-set it and try to get 4 beeps from her? I know the bigger tires will net a little more MPH, with the associated torque loss. We are pretty level here at the beach, save for a few small inclines. I still want to try to make the Freedom jumper work if I can.

I'll be doing all work myself. I'm experienced and competent with automotive work, but electric propulsion is new fun for me, so any help is appreciated. Thanks for having me on the site!

Ed
grtskydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie to BGW

You can put the switch in tow, remove the chip, put it in run and drive. Then put it in tow and put the speed chip back in, then put it in run and drive... then turn it off and try the beeper sequence again.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Does the beeper beep when F/R is in R? (The previous owner might have disconnected it)

With the freedom plug in a PDS typically does 18 to 19 MPH with stock height (18") tires and with 20" tall tires it ought to do 20 to 21 MPH. (Mathematically, the 20" tires equates to 11% speed increase and a 10% torque loss.)

What is the Max inflation pressure embossed on the tire's sidewall? If the tires are the low pressure type (Max inflation pressure less than 10PSI) they require more torque to turn and might be what is holding your cart back.

If you ever need to replace the controller, go with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS. All new, repaired and "rebuilt" PDS (Curtis 1206MX) controllers limit the motor to about 4400RPM while the XCT family of controllers are user programmable and can be set to a higher RPM limit, along with a multitude of other parameters that allows it to be tweaked for your personal tastes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you've been lurking you have probably already been to scottyb's website. That's where I learned the basics about upgrading everything. I have basically the same cart as you (23" tires) and so far have only added an Alltrax XCT400 which was a great upgrade for torque and speed on flat ground. I can get 25 mph out of it by myself and probably 20-21 with 3 people on it. Next upgrade is 42V on the stock motor. If that ain't enough, 48v an Admiral B2 motor will be next after that. BTW, welcome to the addiction LOL
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Glad to see you decided to curtail your lurking tendencies

Seriosuly though, welcome to the forum and don’t be afraid to jump in and help others too!
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone! Yes, I've been to ScottyB's site. Lots of great info. I'll mess with the freedom mode some more. Come to think of it, it doesn't have the warning beep in R. If the PO disabled it, then that explains my problem. I'll research how to repair that--at least for the time being.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, I fixed the Reverse buzzer. Somebody less safety-conscious than I disconnected the hot rather than the ground trigger. It beeps like it's supposed to in R, but I get no response when trying to reprogram the Freedom mode. I did as ScottyB said and took the "chip" out and tried it again. I went so far as to do the R X 5 with the jumper off to see if it would go back to default mode. No response beeps trying anything. What gives?

EDIT-- It is likely the controller is in freedom mode (it is the red-wired Molex with the correct terminals jumpered). Not sure why no beeping. I don't know how old these batteries are. The PO claims they are were recently replaced...but, you know. Need to check voltage.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Jmzvet
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All used cart batteries are "About a year old"
Jmzvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
grtskydog
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzvet View Post
All used cart batteries are "About a year old"
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO