lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lithium AH vs Lead Acid AH

Man, that is one expensive lithium pack.
I forgot that I looked at that option when I was researching packs.

I think you can find something MUCH less expensive for that application.
It might not be as plug-and-play for charging, but the savings would make you feel better when installing a BMS system.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
3C is a good setting for max currents up to 2 minutes, 10C is for impulse currents of 2 seconds or less. At least that is the ratings for my 100 AH cells.
I arbitrarily picked 5C because it was half of the 10C mentioned and the cost of going to lithium is at least twice what I want to pay.

A quick review of the data logs from my XCT48400 tells me the battery current in my setup doesn't exceed 400A for more than 0.3 seconds and doesn't exceed 300A for more than a second. In other words, due to the tiny tires (17" tall), my motor doesn't stay in the RPM range where it is capable of drawing high enough amps for long enough to damage the Li cells.

Of course, the voltage drop under load is less for Li cells, so the voltage applied to the motor would be higher, increasing the amp flow, but that would increase the torque and shorten the time in the low RPM range.

Basically, my setup isn't likely to over-stress a 100AH lithium battery pack, but someone with tall tires or high speed gears may need to take a closer look at the max amp settings.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If anyone here is able to draw 1000a for more than 2 seconds, I commend you, and you are going faster than I!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The Li battery is 100AH @ 1-hr rate, but how much of that is usable?
Thanks JohnnieB. They state on their website you can use 100% of their rated capacity....so they must the extra capacity in their so they don't kill the cells.
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #15
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
I think you can find something MUCH less expensive for that application.
It might not be as plug-and-play for charging, but the savings would make you feel better when installing a BMS system.
I agree. This is for a friend who has more money than time :). I would be doing the install....so easy and zero maintenance is where I want to be!
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If anyone here is able to draw 1000a for more than 2 seconds, I commend you, and you are going faster than I!
I dunno... A 350 Amp AC controller on an RXV with 23" tires can probably draw 1K amps for more than 2 seconds, but you'll probably beat it. Too much torque loss with a tall tire like that to get much torque to the road.

My Bandolero build will be like that, which is why it'll have more than 100 AH of Lithium cells. But I'm not shooting for a drag car. I want a road car that I can take down a 45 MPH highway without slowing down the traffic behind me.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO