lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Bias or Radial Tires

Hey all

New to the Forum and new to carting. The first thing I want to do is bigger rims and tires. I can't find any info on the pros and cons of bias vs radial tires. I run mostly on asphalt or grass. Any advice would be appreciated
jkenprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
PaintMaker329
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bias or Radial Tires

Bias ply only have nylon tread cord where radials are steel belted. I'm always game for radials over bias ply. However, that's just me
PaintMaker329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintMaker329 View Post
Bias ply only have nylon tread cord where radials are steel belted. I'm always game for radials over bias ply. However, that's just me
Thanks for the reply. How dos the ride/handling compare between the two?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think you will find a bigger difference between low profile and a more standard profile tires with the standard providing a softer/less harsh ride. The benefit of steel belted radials is much less prone to puncture. I've had to plug many a non belted bias tire due to picking up nails on the street.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
I think you will find a bigger difference between low profile and a more standard profile tires with the standard providing a softer/less harsh ride. The benefit of steel belted radials is much less prone to puncture. I've had to plug many a non belted bias tire due to picking up nails on the street.
That makes sense. I wanted to go with bigger rims with 205/50-12's to keep the same tread width and sidewall height. I've always thought radials made a car ride smoother soI assumed a golf cart might too.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenprice1 View Post
Hey all

New to the Forum and new to carting. The first thing I want to do is bigger rims and tires. I can't find any info on the pros and cons of bias vs radial tires. I run mostly on asphalt or grass. Any advice would be appreciated
I prefer radials for traction on my daily driver EV, but I run the tire pressure up to near max rated pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Bias ply tires usually have lower rolling resistance, and sometimes are the only affordable opton for many on a budget. I posted about this recentl... you can buy Carlisle trailer tires on rims from WalMart that will fit E-Z-GO bolt patterns. The 4.80-12 are 19.5" tall and the 5.30-12 are 20.5" tall.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info
Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm down to either 205/50-12's or 295/65-10'2. I'm planning on visiting a couple bigger shops here in Florida to see them on a cart to make the final decision. Radials or no may come down to availability in those sizes.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I prefer radials for traction on my daily driver EV, but I run the tire pressure up to near max rated pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Bias ply tires usually have lower rolling resistance, and sometimes are the only affordable opton for many on a budget. I posted about this recentl... you can buy Carlisle trailer tires on rims from WalMart that will fit E-Z-GO bolt patterns. The 4.80-12 are 19.5" tall and the 5.30-12 are 20.5" tall.
Are you sure about the rolling resistance Bob? Always thought that lower rolling resistance was one of the bonuses of a radial tire.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
PaintMaker329
Not Yet Wild

Radials are the way to go if it was my cart
PaintMaker329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO