lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement controller

Hello all I’m confident that I’m in need of a new controller for my 96 ez go txt. It is a 36v dcs sepex. I’ve been told that I should go with an alltrax but wanted to know if everyone else believes that’s the best unit or if I should go with another brand. I’m seeing a lot of people selling “Navitas”. Are they a good brand? Also would you recommend I go with a 500 amp controller with the stock motor? My thought is I could get a 500amp now and have it programmed to 400amp until I upgrade the motor. I also plan to install bigger tires and lift the cart. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommyr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Replacement controller

I'll vote for Alltrax. I wouldn't buy any other.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacement controller

I concur with Andy.

Two features of the XCT that the others may or may not have is user programmable via a USB cable and connects to stock wiring harness without the need of an adapter cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is a series and not a sepex, but I will say this about Alltrax…. They have great service and mine has been a great upgrade!
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
bighanded
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome Tommy...I trust you'll shortly hear from the serious experienced pros on here and they have fantastic advice to offer... can't tell you how valuable and helpful they have been for me as a newby to this as well.

I wanted to chime in as I just this past week upgraded my 2002 PDS 36V car.

I opted for the Alltrax 48400 (400) as I have no plans to take this particular car beyond what it is..ie no upgrade to 48, different motor, etc.

I bought the car on a deal that honestly reflected someone putting some TLC into the cart and then ultimately wanting to move up to something newer.
They already had 23" tires, lift kit and the old Curtis 300amp controller had the "freedom chip- jumper" installed..with the updated body cosmetics, a full length roof, rear fold down seat and foot board...but original motor/cables/etc... I think they realized they wanted that next step..so it came to me at a good price.

I have over a dozen acres of property that takes me around my 2 acrew pond, back through my woods on a trail along the creek, etc...the wife and I enjoy a trail camera hobby over over 10 cameras..so regular jaunts out there to swap out SD cards etc...the ezgo is just nice for that sort of thing.
We also camp frequently..not all camp trips include the car but when it makes sense, it's sure nice to have one with us.
To date we have not encountered a mud bog on my property with all the rain, nor a hill in a campground too steep that the stock PDS with Curtis 300 has not handled just fine. But it was obvious that the larger tires sucked a lot of that initial umph out of it..even simple things like loading onto the trailer..if you didn't get a running start, it might not make it over the lip at the top of the ramp

I like your idea of the 500 for later upgrade..makes sense...it just wasn't part of my plan for my car.

but to your question...the 400amp alltrax has met mey hopes..gave me that extra low end back and the confidence that I won't be embarrassed if I meet my family at the parking lot and load em up to drive em to our campsite...we'll get there.

Someone else recently mentioned on another thread that they wished there was a smart phone app for the Toolkit software from Alltrax..and I agree...apparently Navitas has something? If I were starting over again, that might be the one additional factor I'd consider in my shopping.
but that aside, yes, the Alltrax seems very robust..my first attempt at self install was a blunder in some fashion..but whatever I did wrong, it did not damage the controller...huge relief.
I'll also say that in addition to, or as part of this forum, the Alltrax dealers were incredible quick and gracious to come to my aid and make sure that I am a happy customer enjoying their product...and brother.. I am !
so, yeah, do the controller/solenoid and upgrade those cables..and you should be grinnin from ear to the seat of your pants...
Ed
bighanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have to give big kudos to Alltrax. I have an older AXE controller on my cart; it was not running when I bought the cart and the wires were all mixed up. After rewiring everything, I had some issues with the running of the cart. I called Alltrax and spoke to their technical support. Though my controller was WAY out of warranty, the technician walked me through the diagnostic procedures, helped me locate the problem with me testing the unit over the phone. The tech was very helpful and glad to walk me through the procedure; all free of charge! Customer support is HUGE when it comes to such things. Turns out, the controller was fine, it was getting a bad reading from the ITS; the tech helped me diagnose it and a very short time later I was out enjoying my cart!
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
bighanded
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

yep...agreed on support... the dealer sales rep that I purchased my 48400 from literally took time out of his personal Saturday off, and called my cell phone while I was in the garage in front of the cart to walk me through and double check my install...we had a nice chat about coyotes and other wildlife on the property, etc while I finished bolting up..again, this was not support on weekday business hours, this was a guy , out of his own determination for caring about customers, to give me a call on a weekend...
bighanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here are 10 reasons why Alltrax is the BEST choice you can make when shopping for a new controller:

Link > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/about-...ntrollers.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Alltrax is the way to go and Scottyb from Cartsunlimited.net is the guy you want to get it from. He has great customer service, the best prices, not to mention, he's a site sponsor for this forum and is always around to help
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I just purchased the XCT500DCS and I know I need the 400a solenoid but do I need anything else? I notice they sell a diode and resistor but don’t know if I need that. Also will I need to upgrade the cables right away? I will be programming it for 400a 36v to start. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommyr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO