lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Walnut777
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2005 TXT 36V how to wire lights?

I had replaced the batteries last winter in my 05 ezgo txt 36v. I swore I put the positive and negative wire for the headlights back exactly where I got them.
Well lights never came on.

Today into the power wore and moved it to the very first positive post. The one with the main positive wire for the cart. Passenger side front battery.

My son said the orange lights came on. But there was a spark anytime i put the wire to post.

Do the headlights themselves only come on when the gas is pressed? Or is my son just seeing it wrong since its daylight?

I also ran the ground to the passenger side rear battery where all the other grounds were already attached.
Walnut777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2005 TXT 36V how to wire lights?

The best way to power lights and accessories is to install a dc power reducer so you use the whole pack to power the 12v items. This keeps the load equal across the pack instead of drawing off just 2 batteries. If the lights were originally wired to 2 batteries then you can use any 2 to get 12v, but if you hooked them up to the whole pack of 36v you may have blown the bulbs or worse.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Walnut777
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
The best way to power lights and accessories is to install a dc power reducer so you use the whole pack to power the 12v items. This keeps the load equal across the pack instead of drawing off just 2 batteries. If the lights were originally wired to 2 batteries then you can use any 2 to get 12v, but if you hooked them up to the whole pack of 36v you may have blown the bulbs or worse.

The fuse is good. I checked the wiring and it all looks fine.
I'll pull the bulbs next after my daughter gets home.
I was relying on a 6 yrs old.to tell me if the lights came on. I didnt want to tighten it down to the positive bc of the spark. Which may have only been because I had the key all the over for the light to come on then touching it to the positive.
Walnut777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

the load of accessories/lights will cause a spark at battery connection.
Even with lights/12 volt assecories off, convertor will still draw a small amount of amperage enough to cause a spark when connecting cable.

Try unplugging convertor at convertor or removing fuse and see if you still get a spark.
If so convertor draw is what your seeing.
My convertor was always on (no switched power source) so I had to add toggle switch to turn it on/off.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

He isnt running a converter. Directly off of two batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you have a “spark” when connecting the terminal, you have a load,draw on that terminal/wire curcuit.
Voltage won’t cause arching,amp draw will.
Try turning off lights before connecting terminal.
“If” lights/12 volt accessories are off,there should not be a amp draw thus no spark.
Still have sparking after being sure of that, something is on drawing amp draw.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO