lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with brake lights! I have an odd situation. 2011 RXV

So I have successfully hooked up turn signals for front and rear on my non factory wiring harness. I also have headlights and tail lights functioning properly. I’m wanting to add brake lights also. I would like to do this by bypassing the controller and cart wiring, which is what I did with the turn signals since my harness was not a plug and play. Is there a way to do this? I have three wires coming from the tail/brake lights. Red, white, black. The black is what I used for the turn signals. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billyg213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help with brake lights! I have an odd situation. 2011 RXV

Bump

Old 06-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If this is a non factory wire harness then I would ask what documentation came with the wire harness that you have? is it one that you made yourself? There isn't much to go on from your description so far. If you want to bypass the controller for the brake lights to work then I would think that you will need some sort of a contact switch connected to your brake pedal somewhere, somehow, similar to what cars have.

Pictures may help.
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

I have no documentation for the wiring harness. It’s an aftermarket harness that was already in the cart. I was going to order a switch that activates on the press of the brake pedal. Most come with two wires. Not really sure where those wires should hook up though. My turn signal wiring was ran directly to the black wire from the tail lights and they work like they should.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have never thought about it but if the switch is normally open and closes when you hit the pedal then you would just run 12v to the switch then on to your brake lights then when you hit the pedal and the switch closes then it will send the 12v to the lights.

Have you seen these?
https://www.amazon.com/Huskey-Univer...s%2C145&sr=8-8
Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

That brake pad is one of the options I was looking at. I believe you’re correct in your thinking. Which wire do I need to make the connection to though? I have a red, white, and black from the brake light. The black is the one I used for the turn signals to work properly. Meaning, I disconnected it from the main harness and wires straight into it from the turn signal switch. If I use the pad from the link you sent, I still need my tail lights to function, as well as them getting brighter when the pedal is activated. It may be a trial and error process

Old 06-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, I believe that you have some trial and error ahead of you, if it is a true tail/turn light then it should have either 2 bulbs or a 2 filament bulb in it and you will have to figure out which wire lights up which filament or bulb to get you what you want. I'm not sure about the led light fixtures that are available so maybe someone else has some experience with those. Of course be sure to have a fuse on your hot wire in case a wire shorts out.

Maybe post a picture of what lights that you have and someone here will have some information about what they did.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

They are LED lights but also have the brake light function. In other words, they have the capability of getting brighter or staying dim. I appreciate your help so far! Thanks. Hopefully someone else can chime in also. Thanks again

Old 06-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have a link to the lights that you have?

Do Not Do This,,,,,
I would get a jumper wire with 12v and touch it to the red wire and see what you get then I would touch it to the white wire if you didn't get what you wanted with the red wire.
Do Not Do This......

I have let the smoke out of more than 1 electrical item that I was working on. haha

Link to the lights and we may be able to figure out which wire you need to hook it up to.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
Billyg213
Not Yet Wild

EZGO TXT ST Golf Cart LED Tailight Set Full LED Rear Tail Light Pair Ez Go https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFGJQWG..._Cib.Cb3QGV236

These are like mine. I’ll try to get some actual pictures of the wiring from mine.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO