lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
Dkep
Not Yet Wild

Default Express S4 speed upgrade

I’ve seen several old posts mentioning getting a passkey to unlock freedom mode and then using a handheld programmer to get another mph. Is anyone currently in the business of sending these devices through the mail? Or is anyone in the San Antonio area interested in speed tuning a 2017 express S4 in person? Thank you!
Dkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Express S4 speed upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkep View Post
I’ve seen several old posts mentioning getting a passkey to unlock freedom mode and then using a handheld programmer to get another mph. Is anyone currently in the business of sending these devices through the mail? Or is anyone in the San Antonio area interested in speed tuning a 2017 express S4 in person? Thank you!
First, you need to know whether you have a 48V S4 or a 72V S4, as they are quite different.

Passkeys are not applicable to the 72V carts. They are AC drive, similar to the RXV, but use a real EV (Electric Vehicle) controller instead of a golf cart controller. EV controllers do not have a Freedom Mode option. Golf Cart dealers do not have the knowledge or equipment required to speed them up. Those that have tried, have ended up tripping a controller shutdown, or corrupted the controller. So be very careful about letting someone try that has no experience with those specialized controllers. You could end up needing to buy a new $2000+ controller.

The 48V S4 is a SepEx drive, and there is very little improvement available. The 48V pack is unable to drive the motor used on those to the kind of drive current required to speed it up by much. I managed to remap the motor maps on a 48V S4 to get a bit more speed, but the effort spent doing it was just not worth the result. The best option for that type of 48V S4 is to bring it up to 60V or 72V and go with an Alltrax SepEx controller.

I sent you a PM.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Dkep
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Bob, I received the PM. You are incredibly knowledgeable! I have a 48 volt with 20 inch factory wheels. I though buying a stock “off-road” cart would be best for ease of upgrades and dependability. Its too darn slow in the beach community. I could always use some extra room for beach gear too. Looks like I have to decide if I should sell my S4 and start with a 6place cart. I like electronic and prefer to stick with it but can easily see why people all have fast gas carts around here!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkep View Post
Thank you Bob, I received the PM. You are incredibly knowledgeable! I have a 48 volt with 20 inch factory wheels. I though buying a stock “off-road” cart would be best for ease of upgrades and dependability. Its too darn slow in the beach community. I could always use some extra room for beach gear too. Looks like I have to decide if I should sell my S4 and start with a 6place cart. I like electronic and prefer to stick with it but can easily see why people all have fast gas carts around here!
Bummer that it's the 48V version, as the 72V version of that era can exceed 50 MPH if you're bold enough to hold the throttle down that long...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
Dkep
Not Yet Wild

Good lord that’s fast!
Old 10-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
ALTSWEET
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
First, you need to know whether you have a 48V S4 or a 72V S4, as they are quite different.

Passkeys are not applicable to the 72V carts. They are AC drive, similar to the RXV, but use a real EV (Electric Vehicle) controller instead of a golf cart controller. EV controllers do not have a Freedom Mode option. Golf Cart dealers do not have the knowledge or equipment required to speed them up. Those that have tried, have ended up tripping a controller shutdown, or corrupted the controller. So be very careful about letting someone try that has no experience with those specialized controllers. You could end up needing to buy a new $2000+ controller.

The 48V S4 is a SepEx drive, and there is very little improvement available. The 48V pack is unable to drive the motor used on those to the kind of drive current required to speed it up by much. I managed to remap the motor maps on a 48V S4 to get a bit more speed, but the effort spent doing it was just not worth the result. The best option for that type of 48V S4 is to bring it up to 60V or 72V and go with an Alltrax SepEx controller.

I sent you a PM.

Bob
Bob,

What is involved with converting my S4 from a 48 to a 72v?
ALTSWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
brandonm00re
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever get info on converting 48v to 60 or 72 for this cart?
brandonm00re is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO