lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
DEERSNYPR
Not Yet Wild

Default Best EZGO introductory setup for a hill climb

In the next couple months I'm going to purchase an Electric EZGO for my lake property to transport people and coolers back and forth from the house to the dock. I was hoping to get some advice from those more knowledgeable about carts. Here are my thoughts below

1. I really want to stick with electric due to not wanting to deal with gas and oil changes. I'm fine maintaining batteries but prefer the simplicity of electric and just keeping it charged all the time.

2. There is a short part of the path to the lake that is steep. Currently its dirt but I plan to have asphalt added later. This is my biggest worry with the cart is making sure I can get something that won't have trouble getting up the short section that's kind of steep. Do you think 48V electric can handle hills relatively well? What other things should I look for in a cart that is focusing on hill climb.

3. I don't need extraordinary speed. I'm fine with keeping under 20mph for safety. I also don't need a lift.

4. I chose EZGO because I have a friend who is knowledgeable on golf carts and rebuilt an EZGO. I'm pretty handy myself but have never worked on golf carts before. I figure if I have any problems I can ask him some advice.

5. Any other advice to a soon to be purchaser of an electric golf cart?

TLDR - I need a golf cart that can climb short hills. Not looking for anything fancy. Prefer EZGO electric. Looking for advice on what to look for.
DEERSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best EZGO introductory setup for a hill climb

If you post the actual slope of the grade, there are guys here that can tell you exactly what you need. However, short of that, if you get a 48v cart you can set them up to climb up pretty much anything. A lot of folks here use them in the mountains as hunting carts. 48v, upgraded controller, and a torque motor. The smaller the wheels, the more torque you'll have. Again, not knowing how steep, and how much weight you're carrying, its hard to say what level of upgrade you need.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Stock ezgo rxv has good torque and would be a good choice. It is not the simplest to work on as it is pretty much a rolling computer. One wrong tweak and you can brick the controller. That said, if you make a few correct tweaks and it will really wake up. Even more torque and high 20s in speed. As for a gas cart, I wouldn’t rule it out. Maintenance is roughly an hour tops once a year and no batteries to take care of.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a chart to help you estimate the steepness of the incline.

My cart is described in my signature block below and its hill climbing abilities are limited by modest traction of the turf tires I have on it, especially on grassy knolls. In other words, the tires spin before the motor stalls while going up progressively steeper and steeper hills.

As mentioned, stay away from tall tires. Stock height is 18".
Go with a 48V cart or convert a 36V cart to 48V.
Aftermarket motor with longer that stock case (Approx. 8.5"). They have more torque.
Avoid low pressure tires (Max inflation pressure <10PSI), they take more torque to turn.
Aftermarket controller with 400A or more with a 400A solenoid.
2Ga cables throughout.
Super duty F/R switch or reversing contactor if a series drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grade conversion chart.jpg (167.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EZGO RXV should do what you want in completely stock form. Has the added benefit of regen being the braking force. Coming down the hill, everyone could fall off it and the cart will come to a stop by itself and set the parking brake automatically. Won't roll into the lake.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
DEERSNYPR
Not Yet Wild

Awesome! These are great suggestions and exactly what I was hoping to learn. Very helpful. Thank you guys.
DEERSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO