lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G22 Motor rebuild gone bad

Just rebuilt a G22 motor, had it bored 25 over. Rebuilt head new valve, valve springs, valve stem seal. Cart will fire up if I barely engage throttle run for about four sec and stop. I have an in line spark checker and never lose fire. Im on my 3d aftermarket carb, new non ethanal fuel. If i try to fire with any more than the slightest throttle u can crank and crank and will not fire up. Ive readjusted valves several times and have 160 lbs of compression. I double checked timeing marks when I rebuilt so pretty sure there on. Any ideas getting frustrated as hell with this thing. Any ideas where I can go from here.
faststang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G22 Motor rebuild gone bad

[QUOTE=faststang2000;1666054 I have an in line spark checker and never lose fire.

Im on my 3d aftermarket carb, [/QUOTE]

First, dont trust an inline spark tester. Pull the plug and look at the spark. Should be bright and blue. Those spark testers just tell you if you *have* spark. Doesnt mean that spark is strong enough to jump the gap. You may have a bad ground somewhere or something causing a weak spark. May not be it but worth checking.

Second, do you have the original OEM carb still? Aftermarket carbs cause nothing but problems in these carts. Ita rare you see someone get one and have it work. Most hav issues until they clean their OEM carb, or buy an oem carb if the cart disnt come with one.

Is the airbox connected and sealed? If the airbox is off it's not gonna run.

Does choking it help or hurt?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

CP241 I owe u a beer or two. I came in this morning and read ur post. I went out and pulled my plug tested it had not blue but bright spark. I had been trying to run this thing with air cleaner removed. Havant done a lot of the G22 but several of the G16 and always test ran them with air cleaner off with no problem. I intalled my air cleaner with all new gaskets etc and the cart ran, not real good but think I just need to tweek my valve setting and should be good to go. Your right about the aftermarket carbs they are crap thats why I order 2 or 3 at a time hoping to get one good one. Im 68 yrs old and been messing with these things a lot of yrs but just goes to show never to old to learn new things. I really appreciate the quick reply and help. Hope some day I can do the same for U. THX
faststang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Glad I could help :)

If you still have the original OEM carb, take it apart, give it a good cleaning. You can use the bowl gasket off one of the aftermarket ones if you need to, that's about all they're good for. Generally there's not much to really go "wrong" with the OEM carbs aside from jets getting clogged up from sitting. There really isn't much to them. Rarely anything a good cleaning and blowing out with some compressed air can't fix
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha