lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
Mav711
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT PDS Battery Replacement

Hey Everyone;

first of all, thanks for the super active forum. My creative project juices are going wild long term. Currently running a lifted 36V PDS cart with 23" Tires (I dont recall the year. 2005 or 2003 maybe). I have all the classic torque and wobble problems everyone talks about here - for another thread! I've searched on this and the answers seem to be mixed..

So, I think between being sold a mixed battery back by the cart store (Wife purchased as X-mas present, and the guy selling it to her did no favors. Thanks bro) and my own poor maintenance habits (over filling wells mostly), we got about 2 years out of the current pack with battery ages raining 2-4 years. No biggie, it happens. (Cart will be at 37.1V after going about a quarter of a mile and 50 vertical feet of rise, no single battery is way lower on voltage, major struggle to get all the way home)

Now its time to replace, and I have a question. Everyone talks about how awesome Trojan's are, but they run a a premium (T-105 225AH @ $161 about an hour from me). Assuming I take care of them and preform a proper break in (https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html), will I see a similar number of charge cycle and life to a comparable Duracell Ultra (235AH, $125), made famous by batteries plus? How about a Continental (225AH, $134)? I'm going to stay away from the Costco Interstates - they seem to get pretty terrible dependability reviews and are of a lower AH rating. It's unfortunate that "tested charge cycles" isnt standard info on these batteries for comparison...

Given the corona situation, its a lot easier to get the Duracells (Delivered to car, no human contact) currently.. But I dont want to save 160 bucks for major performance reduction exactly the same amount I dont want to piss away 160 bucks for no gain.

I'll save torque and stability questions for a later date :)
Mav711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: TXT PDS Battery Replacement

Well, as you have also heard, crap is crap. You seem to be planning to put them to hard use (lifted & big tires). Wether you buy trojans, or not, buy the biggest AH you can afford. Treat them right just after purchase (if you can), "break them in" correctly if possible.

They would prefer to be drawn down only about 25%-30% while they are "young". It may take 100 uses before they reach their peak capacity.

Heres a graph of how their capacity works when new, they dont deliver best when they are new.

New ones should only get shorter uses between charges, and always charge after every use. Never let them sit low or dead, never.

The higher you keep them charged, the longer they will last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191206_131531.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
Mav711
Not Yet Wild

Good feedback;

1) Should I let them get all the way to 20-30% before I charge them? The dude at the continental distributor said that if you continually top them off, they will lose depth of discharge.

2) When you say "crap is crap" are you saying the cheaper brands are crap and wont actually maintain the AH ratings as long as the Trojans?

Thanks for the maintenance info!

-Brent
Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

#1- Never take your batteries below 50%. I can't find the chart I have buried in my phone. Hopefully someone will be along with one soon. Charge every day if you use the cart.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav711 View Post
Good feedback;

1) Should I let them get all the way to 20-30% before I charge them? The dude at the continental distributor said that if you continually top them off, they will lose depth of discharge.

2) When you say "crap is crap" are you saying the cheaper brands are crap and wont actually maintain the AH ratings as long as the Trojans?

Thanks for the maintenance info!

-Brent
From what I understand from the experts here, I would suggest never let the charge go below 50% if possible and always put the cart on charge when you finish using the cart for the day, no matter how little you use it.

Also, I have had good luck with the Crown brand of battery. I think the consensus here is that the top tier of batteries would be Crown, US, and Trojan (that varies and not to say others may not be as good because I have also had good luck with the lesser known Superior Brand of Battery).

I have seen shorter life with Duracell, Batteries Plus, Sam's batteries, etc.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG
Old 04-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
Mav711
Not Yet Wild

Rockford - Thanks for the battery feedback. Makes sense.

RE The charging, sorry, i didnt mean to say DOWN TO 20%, I meant down to 70-80% ( 20-30% usage)

My bad.

But yah, always above 50, maybe above 70-80 for break in period.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You are doing good with that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO