lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default All Sports lift install issues - do I need extended cables?

Ordered my 4" kit on 8/31 and received it just a couple of weeks ago, finally. Build quality is excellent, packaging good, but the instructions are garbage. It's SWMBO's birthday on Saturday, and this is a surprise, so time is of the essence.

The rear lift blocks are pretty short and use two U bolts on each side. They're absolutely huge, and I cut nearly three inches of threads off eventually. The instructions tell you to place the factory brake cable plate between the axle pad and the included bottom plate, but that's impossible. The factory plate has a curved lip that won't let it lay flat. I relocated it under the new plate, and it fits there just fine, but after installation I absolutely could not get the passenger side cable reattached. I then undid the plate and tried to install it cable first, but no joy...it's simply too tight. I finally had to get it together by only using the front outside bolt only, and allowing the cable plate to push against one of the other bolts. It's certainly not as designed, but it works, and I think it's going to stay put, but it I'd really rather have it done properly. Is there something I'm missing? It's only short by about an inch or so.

Disclaimer, don't judge my ugly cuts...I'll trim them down evenly and chamfer them when I'm done. I also didn't do the Revo method because I didn't think I'd need it for only a 4" lift. I'd really rather not to take it all apart and redo it if I don't have to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6023.jpg (106.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6025.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: All Sports lift install issues - do I need extended cables?

I would not be too concerned about mounting the cable plate under the bottom plate. That's the way my Steeling 6" lift kit is designed. The photo shows my installation on 2010 Precedent, note the cable plate is flat.

PXL_20201201_030834288.jpg

I had to install a longer cable on just the Driver's side, Passenger side was fine.

Check the routing of the passenger side cable make sure it's routed correctly. Maybe detach the P clamp from the frame and see if that's making it tight.

The righthand cable is about a foot longer that the left, so I don't think there's any way you could have them switched.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Well, I finished the install today for the most part. Interestingly enough, the instructions make zero mention of alignment, and the heim joints come loose, so that could be a problem for someone. I have rubbing in the back with the 22" tires, but I think I can clearance the plastic where it rubs. Front rubs on full lock, but that's ok.

I still don't know about the right side brake. It's not currently tightened to the bolt with the P clamp. I'm going to see if the adjustment of the brakes are tightened up, creating my problem. I have not heard back from All Sport, disappointingly.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think a 5" lift kit is the minimum for 22" tires. Something is messed up somewhere for that passenger side cable not to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Size.JPG (58.0 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

All Sport states 20" for 3" and 22" for 4". I haven't measured my tires to verify that they're actually 22", and they're a bit overinflated. And yes, there's a flaw in the slaw somewhere. Just can't find it.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Long u bolts is common, you did the right thing by trimming, kinda a universal thing.

The brake cable....can you loosen the adjusters up toward the front? Mine has a two into one bracket and a long threaded adjuster that connects to the brake pedal. Sometimes those have quite a bit of adjustability.

If the tire is rubbing on the inside fender liner you can use a heat gun and heat it up and press it in, let it cool and it'll retain the shape. I have used an old basketball to create the round shape.

If the tire is rubbing on the body.....mmmm might not be that good to trim that. Any pics?

Tire pressure will have an affect on the overall height of the tire. Not sure what tire you're running and what pressure.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Slo, that's good advice. I think it's going to end up being the adjuster like you said. When I attempted to snug up the P clip with the cable housing in place, it tightened the brake up and locked the wheel. There's plenty of slack in the housing itself. I'll check the pressure tomorrow, I didn't have time to do anything with it today other than drive it to SWMBO's school to surprise her with it (and her son, who came to visit). The rear tires appear to be rubbing on the back of the black bucket. I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow. I tell you this, the cart looks sooooo much better.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
Stosh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Slo, that's good advice. I think it's going to end up being the adjuster like you said. When I attempted to snug up the P clip with the cable housing in place, it tightened the brake up and locked the wheel. There's plenty of slack in the housing itself. I'll check the pressure tomorrow, I didn't have time to do anything with it today other than drive it to SWMBO's school to surprise her with it (and her son, who came to visit). The rear tires appear to be rubbing on the back of the black bucket. I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow. I tell you this, the cart looks sooooo much better.

how did you make out with this, I have the same lift installed with the Jake's new cable bracket but I think my brakes are still hanging up
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I really haven't gotten anywhere. The tires from Steeleng turned out to be out of round, so I'm dealing with that. In the mean time I have 18" tires on the cart and when I hit the brakes, I get a pulsing. I've just been using the DS instead of the Precedent for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car