lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Painting... Remove gelcoat?

For lack of better words, it seems more like a gelcoat over the plastic of my 99 TXT. I had to plastic weld some holes so I had to go beyond this coating to do so. Also the body has scrapes and such that is also thru this coating.

This will be my first time spraying paint with a gun and actually painting something of this size. Plenty of experience plastidipping larger items with a gun.

My question is, should/do I remove this coating on the entire body? Just fill areas I did go thru it with bondo? After bodywork I will be using adhesion promoter, primer and acrylic urethane single stage paint.

Thanks for any and all advice!
InfiniteReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Painting... Remove gelcoat?

I believe it's just paint, and I'd treat it like any other painted thing I wanted to repaint.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

My buddy that owns a body shop (and flips a few carts a year) just painted mine. He just sanded it down with 600 grit paper and wiped it down before painting.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

It's plastic so be careful with the repairs and body filler you mentioned (bondo). Most wont stick well to plastic. They'll stick for awhile but shrink and expand at different rates than the plastic so they'll crack at the seams eventually. Can work for a while though but if you want it long terms look for something rated for plastic like from an auto body suiply house. They'll have something for bumpers etc. If your just repainting like 2K6 above, a scuff and shoot would work as it's already prepped for paint but when you start doing repairs down to the plastic you have to be careful
JB in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a post from a couple of years ago... (scroll within it a few replies)

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=128341

It is a couple of 3M products specifically made for the plastic of cart bodies, auto bumper covers and body panels.

Even a Cro-Magnum like me has had sucess using it !!

Good Luck !!!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What paint system do you plan to use? That will determine what sealer ,primers you use before painting.
I use regular bondo for body work.
Use recommended sealer primer, base coat clear coat or single stage urethane.
Just make sure all products are of same manufacture “system”.
Mixing brands not recommended.

Single stage paint is cheaper however your limited to what you can do to remove orange peel ect. That we all had on first paint job. Wet sand smooth and buff.

Base coat clear coat cost a bit more since your basically painting body twice. But you can sand out imperfections in clear then polish, similar to new car finish.much easier. The advantage of clear coat is you can have drips hanging of fenders. Trim with razor blade the sand and polish without touching base coat color

Same can be done on single stage urethane to a lesser amount if put on wet enough. But as you sand single stage you sanding thrum actual color coat.
Better to spray to heavy then try to spray light for perfect finish
Orang peel, runs can be sanded out. You can spray too heavy and sand then buff out. Just not as forgiving as basecoat clear coat system.

Years ago when learning to paint. Went to local body shop and got scrap body panels. Practiced painting and wet sanding and buffing them before painting my cars.
Paints are expensive. Practice first.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Sideways
Gone Wild

Cobra1 pretty much nailed it on the head.
In regards to areas that you use filler make sure to feather edge the surrounding areas to prevent low spots or waves, also use a guide coat when sanding primer (use black spray paint if the primer is gray) the low spots will stay black after you first hit it with the sander.
Always use lower speeds when sanding with a mechanical sander (air or electric) and keep the sander flat as possible (never turn the sander up on its edge)
Just relax and have fun, your only going to learn by making mistakes.

Forgot to add when priming or painting, let the previous coat flash dry before applying the next coat.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm sorry for not replying to my thread! For some reason email replies to threads are not being sent to my email.

I'm using TCP Global Restoration for paint. I'm using their primer/sealer and single stage acrylic urethane paint, per TCP suggestion for painting plastic.

I'm officially done with bodywork, with it prepped with 320 for spraying primer tomorrow...and used regular Bondo, may have made my first mistake, lol. I do plan to spray a couple coats with flash time in between. Guide coat while sanding before paint after it's dry to get as smooth as my patience will allow and paint the following day. Not using electric tools, all by hand. I seem to get too gunho with tools of this nature so best to do it the safer way.

I did have to do some plastic welding to fill holes for some generic taillights and antenna hole. I do think that was done properly at least and won't ever fail.

Time will tell how it comes out and if any issues down the road from the Bondo, but like everyone said... Gotta make mistakes to learn. I'm using rivet nuts before reassembly so when the body does come back off, should be quick and easy.

Attached a couple of pictures in it's "paint booth", just need to wrap with visqueen tomorrow, add fan and filters. Below is my build thread to see how it comes out although I do plan to update this on in a few days.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...70#post1812970
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210318_233113328.jpg (224.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210318_233129771.jpg (257.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:51 PM   #9
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Shooting primer in the morning, have a quick question if someone reads this...

Should I use adhesion promoter before primer or don't really need it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No adhesion promoter needed. Just make sure body is sanded to the grimy recommended by manufacturer of primer.
Wipe body down well with prepsol , or similar cleaner followed by a wore down with a tac cloth before shooting.

The spray guns nozzle size and air psi too will be specified by maker of primer.
Same with top coat urethane.

Do a few test sprays on some cardboard, paper, ect. To adjust pattern before shooting body.
When time to spray top coat, better to have a little run here and there rather then dry spots. Run or sag can be sanded and buffed out, ( assuming your not going metallic) but nothing can be done where paint did’nt go on wet enough and you get dry orange peel.

You can not have too much lighting in your both. The more the better so you can watch the paint lay down.

Good. Luck 😊
Looking forward to seeing your results.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO