lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Portdawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Converted to 48 V now light issues.

Good evening,
I just finished converting my 2006 ezgo PDS txt to 48 volt; new controller, 2gauge cables, charging port, heavy duty solenoid, etc.
Before converting my blinkers worked as did rear running lights and brake lights. My headlights still work, but no turn signals and the rear lights go straight to brake brightness instead of regular lights.
I’m guessing/hoping I just blew a fuse somewhere, but that’s just a guess.
Any help or suggestions on what I need to check would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!
Portdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Converted to 48 V now light issues.

Where did you hook up the wires to the lights?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Unless you changed the 12 volt wireing from the convertor. The issue is with the 12 volt system, not your upgrade from 36 to 48 volt conversion “unless” your 12 volt convertor is only rated for 36 volt to 12 volts, not 48 volts to 12 volts. In that cAse you would need new 48 to 12 volt convertor.

Measure voltage coming out of convertor. If more then 12 volts, convertor needs to be changed. If 12 volts out of convertor. Need trouble shooting of lighting circuit as it’s probably unrelated to upgrade.
Let us know 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 AM   #4
Portdawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cobra 1, that may be the case. Where is the converter? I’ve replaced everything in battery compartment and nothing else but wires. Is it under the floorboard? I’ll try to find some wiring diagrams today.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's a common shortcut to wire 12 volt lights off of 2 of the 6 volt batteries in a 36 volt cart. It works, but isn't great for the batteries. When you upgrade to 48 volts that changes. If you're now running 6 x 8 volt batteries and try to power accessories from 2 of those some things may not work properly on that higher voltage. Do you have extra small gage wires going to the middle of your battery pack? You should have the larger gauge cable that power the drive system going to each battery plus a smaller wire to the + and - ends of the pack from the charger socket. Anything more than that is powering accessories. If that's the case, you're not using a power reducer, but really should get one.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
Portdawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

meimk, It does not appear there are any smaller wires going to anything else on the battery pack. I'm at work right now but I'll double check at home tonight. Just guessing here but maybe all that is being run through my controller, which I just programmed to 48 V with help from Alltrax techies. The lights are operated through my key switch now (off-on-lights). Am I looking at disconnecting the lights from the ignition and now running them through converter?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I'm going to go ahead and agree with meimk as well. Sounds like you don't have a voltage converter.

http://www.golfcart.com/pc_product_d...22D213E5445E1A

Here's a basic one, should be more than enough for what you need. Also depending on what company made your turn signal switch, it might be fried if more than 12v went to it..
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Comment deleted by author. Irrelevant. Lights are not LED.

Last edited by sthreatt; 03-19-2021 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Irrelevant- lights are not LED
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portdawg View Post
meimk, It does not appear there are any smaller wires going to anything else on the battery pack. I'm at work right now but I'll double check at home tonight. Just guessing here but maybe all that is being run through my controller, which I just programmed to 48 V with help from Alltrax techies. The lights are operated through my key switch now (off-on-lights). Am I looking at disconnecting the lights from the ignition and now running them through converter?
Lighting should always be kept totally separate from the controller. The "lights" position on the keyswitch is nothing more than an on/off switch, equal in operation to the push/pull switch that comes with the kit. If it was originally wired as the light switch then nothing you did in the conversion should have changed that. Check polarity at batteries for crossed.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
Portdawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a ton, all. I DO NOT have LED. Light are all filament installed by ezgo. I have done nothing to any of that wiring.
So it sounds like I may literally have a wire crossed. Not sure where though. I’ll have to take a pic or two to add to thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO