lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
Warren2129
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV AC motor vs TXT DC motor

Hey guys, I am looking for another golf cart and after looking at a lot of them online I feel like I am in between the ezgo txt and the rxv. It seems like the rxv would be the way to go considering more power, faster and even better, better battery life, and don't forget easy to program controller to make it even faster. But I'm still stuck between the two. So one question is would the rxv with the ac motor be ok to tow a somewhat small trailer, moving it around the yard or hauling the kids around for fun? My older yamaha had no problem even pulling a old for ranger pick up truck, but not too sure if that was good for it. Any info or suggestions on which one to choose? I live in the country, dirt roads, fields, pot holes, but we also plan on taking it to camp grounds when we go. Oh, and I would be buying used, not new. Got my eye on a couple.
Warren2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV AC motor vs TXT DC motor

For me it's no question, ac drive is much better and stronger! No problem towing my trailer on the campground. But the RXV is a full computerized cart, all electrical including the brake system. You can get it fast or faster, without buying anything. If you can trust the people who engineered the 'drive by wire' RXV, go with it. If not, the dc driven TXT model is a way to go...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Suggest if you go with RXV, look for 2013 or newer to make sure you get a Curtis controller. TXT, 2011 or newer (48v).
RXV will likely have 12v batteries, a weakness IMO. TXTs will have 8v batteries. RXV can be converted to 8v batteries.
All electric RXVs have limited slip. TXTs do not.
RXV has a more modern front suspension but the TXT has been around in its present form since 1996. TXT front suspension has more articulation in my experience.
RXVs seem to have more issues with corrosion in the wiring harness. (from reports on this board)
I have one of each. The RXV is much better at climbing hills and with Bob Boyce tuning is way faster. My use is on streets so different than yours.
I love the auto parking brake on the RXV. In my case it has been trouble free for 5 years.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For reprogramming, the 2012.5+ curtis rxv's are better, but as i recently got confirmed here, they can cause much more trouble! My Danaher controller has produced not any fault for over 3.5 years and therefor i love it

Not quite sure, If i should plan the conversion for the near future?
Old 03-20-2021, 03:47 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Rxv was totally offered from the factory with 6x 8v batteries (so converting is easy). And yes, 4x 12v battery setup sucks for a few reasons. The only argument for 4x 12v is "I can easily steal power for my lights", which is also a terrible plan..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My 2019 Trojan's ( 4x 12v ) just arrived their 100% capacity, which issues should i expect? What is the real problem, don't have any until now? Or is it a question of battery brand...?

The 4x 12v battery set before worked for 6 years, then 1 unit failed suddenly.5 years of the 6 they were in commercial use and equiped with the bad watering system ( thrown out now ).

The gain for me with the 12v's, they need a little less room with less weight and i have to handle only 4 heavy batteries instead of 6
Old 03-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: Here is a set of charts I made comparing Lifespan, Range and Weight of various 4x12V and 6x8V using Trojan brand batteries.

The stock 4x12V used T-1275 batteries and the stock 6X8V used T-875 batteries, so the 6x8V is 50 lb heavier (5.6%), but lasts 14.8% longer and has 14.7% greater range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV 12V vs 8V Trojan batteries.jpg (189.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you JohnnieB, great work! When reading your chart, i remember my old batterie set were 1260+ (now 1275+), so the 6 years out of them are not so bad. Another point is the price, 6x 8v are little more expensive as far as i know.

When i startet with the RXV, i've heard about problems with the 4x 12v setup, but still don't know what it was exactely...?
Old 03-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Thank you JohnnieB, great work! When reading your chart, i remember my old batterie set were 1260+ (now 1275+), so the 6 years out of them are not so bad. Another point is the price, 6x 8v are little more expensive as far as i know.

When i startet with the RXV, i've heard about problems with the 4x 12v setup, but still don't know what it was exactely...?
I'm not into RXV's very much and don't know all that much about them, but the complaints I remember about the RXV's with the 4x12V packs were mostly short range and battery lifespan related.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

As above but also a major pain for maintenance on the back battery. Also around here the 68s were cheaper than the 412s. There is a bolt in tray to convert it to 6x8 when ready.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing ac dc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO