lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
jaconner
Not Yet Wild

Default Resistor Coil and wiring smoking

1990 36v club car. After driving it over the weekend I noticed a hot smell. I pulled back the seat and noticed the lugs on the plate and the resistor coil were super hot and smoking. Even in forward with the park brake on and the key on it did this. Once I cut it off, everything cooled down. What would cause this?
jaconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Resistor Coil and wiring smoking

How many solenoids are on it? Which resistor was hot?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
jaconner
Not Yet Wild

Only 1 solenoid.. I changed it out.. It is the 2nd from the left on the driver side.
It gets super hot when the key is on and it is in forward while sitting still.. It also keeps blowing a 30 amp fuse that goes to the charging port.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Likely the V-glide is not adjusted properly or is damaged. Remove the cover and check the pads and the swing arm for burning and poor contact.
For now you need to disconnect the battery pack and lift the back wheels of the cart off the ground, while you're doing any repairs and testing. Problems with the V-glide can make those older carts take off and drive away all on their own.

The charge fuse blowing shouldn't have anything to do with operation of the cart, and is likely either due to excessively discharged batteries, or a problem with the charger. But it's possible there is damaged wiring causing current to be pulled through the fuse when there shouldn't be any.
Remove the fuse for the time being and leave the charging circuit disconnected. Figure out the wiring issue or problem with the V-glide first and make sure everything else on the cart works properly, then the charge issue can be handled after that.

It's a bit hard to see, but this should be the wire diagram for your cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
jaconner
Not Yet Wild

Ok. So, it burnt one of the resistor coils in half over the weekend.. I am looking at buying all 5 coils plus a v glide. I can only find the v glide (the old one was burnt up and contacts were black and crusty) and resistor # 1 & # 5. Can the others be made out 10 ga copper wire?
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Before you spend the money on all the resistor coils, it might be worth considering converting it to a solid state drive system with a new Alltrax controller. Site sponsor ScottyB sells kits on his website, cartsunlimited.net. The difference in performance, especially at low speeds, is massive.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car