lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
repsolracer22
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer?

So I bought a 17 precedent and it already had a madjax headlight kit with tail lights and blinker, horn, etc.

My question is … since those items are already on the cart, does that mean that there’s a voltage reducer already on my cart somewhere? I don’t see one anywhere. But I assumed in order for these electrical accessories to work, there would have to be a reducer somewhere

I want to add a bazooka speaker and some LED lights, etc so just wondering. I guess I can’t just tap one of the batteries for power bc they are actually putting out 48v ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
repsolracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Voltage Reducer?

Many carts run the lights off of part of the battery pack. Either 12V if you have 4x12 batteries or 16V if you have 6x8 batteries. Look for extra wires going to the batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
repsolracer22
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Voltage Reducer?

I guess my goal is to figure out what the easiest way to hook up neon lights and bazooka speaker etc. They use either usb connection or a battery tender (sae) style plug

I have 6 Trojan batteries. 8v each

The first battery in the series that has the power wire going to it, has the blue wire that has nothing going to it. Not sure if people use this for anything?

And then as you can see, one of the middle batteries has a blue wire on it that goes into the headlight/tail light system it appears

Old 09-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you do that with your batteries, you will get over 16 Volts which may be too much for your accessories. Better way is to get a voltage reducer.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
repsolracer22
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If you do that with your batteries, you will get over 16 Volts which may be too much for your accessories. Better way is to get a voltage reducer.

Can you explain the reducer in more detail and where do you end up plugging in accessories after the reducer is installed? Fuse block?

Old 09-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Voltage reducer goes across the battery pack (48V) and outputs 12V for the accessories. You have to wire the accessories to the output (fused) Most good reducers have a trigger wire that goes to the key switch to turn it on.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
bbbdale
Gone Wild

One of these.

And one of these along with some wire and you are well on you way to being able to hook up SIX 12v accessories.

bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I do not like that reducer pictured above. It does not have a trigger wire so it has to be switched to the battery voltage to turn it on / off. Get one with five wires that includes a trigger wire to enable/disable it through the key switch. You do not want to wire that one above through the key switch.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

^^^^^^^^

x2
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
RobertsClubCar
Not Yet Wild

Reliance Voltage Reducer/Converter Universal Fit 36V & 48V-12V for Golf Cart
RobertsClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car