lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #11
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DC Upgrades vs AC Conversion

No real reason to go AC. I like the trusty Alltrax 500 amp controller and mzj400 400amp solenoid combo. That paired with a high speed motor or speed/torque motor will get you that faster speed you want. Then when these new Trojans wear out in a few years, you can go 48 volts and have 33% more speed and torque from that setup.
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #12
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

It really depends what you are looking for in terms of performance increases. With DC you get more torque for climbing hills OR more speed for the straight away but anything else is just a compromise between the 2. With DC there's more than just a motor and controller to increase performance. You'll need a new solenoid and possibly a new forward/reverse switch. On AC you get both gobs of torque and higher speeds plus regen braking (adjustable) right out of the box and you will still need a new high amp solenoid. AC motors are more efficient and lose very little speed going uphill, increase your run time on a charge and don't have brushes. Another plus is you won't need to get a new F/R switch (it's built in) and you get an on the fly programmer that mounts on the dash to adjust speed, torque and regen, both options on DC. If you're addicted to speed, the Navitas option will let you up the voltage to 72 volts at which time you will also need to upgrade the solenoid once again. I think 50mph would be insanely fast on a golf cart but people do it! All said, I think the Navitas route would be less expensive. It's a tough decision but it's only money!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just to mention it, upgrading solenoids is trivial, they don’t cost much.
I find I don’t even use the on-the-fly control knob unit that comes with the Navitas controller, I tend to prefer the WiFi smartphone app.
And thats really cool!
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #14
goathearder
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks for all the info guys. After reading this thread and watching a ton of videos I decided to do the Navitas AC conversion and ordered one yesterday. Should be here next week which gives me time to get seat belts and some other stuff sorted first.
goathearder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #15
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

About the Navitas, at first I was disappointed in it. I bought mine within the last year and I learned that when you get it, call Navitas and have them upgrade your software. There’s a “dealer” mode, or whatever, I’ve forgotten what they call it, that unlocks all the extra performance tuning you can do.
They did mine super fast, zero hassle. But, you gotta call em and have them do it. You don’t have to send it to them or anything like that, they just do it.
In fact I think you just message them.
Maybe by now they all come “unlocked”, I dunno. But check that.
After that, you’ll love it.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
goathearder
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post
About the Navitas, at first I was disappointed in it. I bought mine within the last year and I learned that when you get it, call Navitas and have them upgrade your software. There’s a “dealer” mode, or whatever, I’ve forgotten what they call it, that unlocks all the extra performance tuning you can do.
They did mine super fast, zero hassle. But, you gotta call em and have them do it. You don’t have to send it to them or anything like that, they just do it.
In fact I think you just message them.
Maybe by now they all come “unlocked”, I dunno. But check that.
After that, you’ll love it.
Good call, I read about that in some older threads but it looks like the newer ones might already come enabled that way. I'll keep an eye out for sure though.
goathearder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #17
DannyAdidas
Not Yet Wild

So I'm in the middle of a couple decisions right now. I'm rebuilding a 36v cart to 48v currently. I ordered the Alltrax XCT500PDS-FN controller/solenoid/mounts/2g cables/battery meter+ keyplate. Would it matter if I went with lead acid or lithium at this point as far as functionality? I will probably run the stock ADM motor until it gives out I guess.
DannyAdidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #18
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Lots of missing information in this thread will try to address most of it:

1. The Navitas mobile application is used to configure the TAC2 traction inverter (controller);

2. You do not need to call Navitas to have them activate the settings screens to change RPM, constant current, gear ratio, and wheel size. This can be done in the application that you download. You make an account in the mobile app and then request access to these settings; and

3. Set forward speed to 35mph in the Navitas app and call it a day. Make sure your wheel size and gear ratio are also correct. Its as easy as that.

As for DC vs AC...

If you are going to change your motor and traction controller you might as well go to an AC motor and traction inverter. Not only do you get 48VDC nominal with a TAC2 Navitas traction inverter but, it also out-of-the-box supports 72VDC nominal as well.

48VDC is legacy voltage like 36VDC was 10 years ago when EZGO and Club Car made the change. Everything new coming out starts at 72VDC nominal.

The Navitas AC setup is easiest drop-in setup you can get. Its why Plum Quick sells a rebranded version of it. :O
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I went DC with lithium and can pull wheelies. I understand AC gives you more torque at higher RPM but I have plenty.

I run a 56v lithium pack with an Alltrax controller. I have the 300 amp continuous/360 amp max Alltrax controller but if you ever plan on going with an aftermarket motor get the one of the bigger ones. Most people just go with the larger controller anyway.

I have bluetooth on-the-fly programming. The Alltrax bluetooth module is just over a hundo. It lets you change all the parameters that you can change with your computer. I also have the three mode personality switch. Truth be told you are likely to set it up and after dialed in you will never use it again... So the BT thing, while pretty cool, is of limited value for any platform. the personality switch is valuable to me because I switch between modes for the kids or myself.

For me the question comes down to top maintained speed on steep inclines. If you need to keep 30+ on a stout incline then you probably want AC. But there are no inclines stout enough where I live to slow me down. I currently have the RPM limited so I don't exceed 24mph and the cart gets to that speed very quickly and holds that speed on the mild hills here. If I put the RPM up to 6k I can hit 32mph (GPS Verified), all on my stock motor.

The benefit of DC is a cheaper conversion with really good performance.
The benefit of AC is even more performance (if you can use it) but it costs more to do.

And lithium makes them both better. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO