lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Dash Battery Light

And this is the battery meter I like to use. They’re under 10 bucks on Amazon, it shows percentage as well as voltage. Percentage is based on what you input as “fully charged” and “empty”. Works well. Best of both worlds, gives real time actual voltage as well as a “fuel gauge” or remaining percentage but it’s actually correct as long as you program it correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0B9A532-CBCF-4256-BE67-333C72DFA76C.jpg (236.6 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #22
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
And this is the battery meter I like to use. They’re under 10 bucks on Amazon, it shows percentage as well as voltage. Percentage is based on what you input as “fully charged” and “empty”. Works well. Best of both worlds, gives real time actual voltage as well as a “fuel gauge” or remaining percentage but it’s actually correct as long as you program it correctly
Do you have a link for this?
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Do you have a link for this?
Battery Meter Monitor with Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm 10-100V Digital Battery Capacity Tester Battery Capacity Indicator Battery Meter Golf Cart Voltage Temperature Switch Meter Panel (1 Piece) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RS4KHHF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Just got another one yesterday for my new DS. I’ll get that installed this weekend.

It does also have a temp function on it, but I can’t seem to figure out how to change it from C to F. Not that it really matters, if you’re in a golf cart I think you’re pretty aware of the temp
Old 11-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Set the meter to 20V for checking each individual battery. It will give a more precise reading.

Also after charging the batteries, disconnect the charger and let the cart sit for 12 hours. Don’t drive it, just let it sit. When the cart is fresh off the charger, voltage readings are not really what they seem to be. You’re reading what’s called a surface charge. They will settle down to around 8.5v each battery.
Did a full charge, pulled the plug and let the batteries sit for about 14.5 hours.

Setting the voltage meter at 20v, this is what is got for the 6 batteries.

1) 8.69
2) 8.63
3) 8.67
4) 8.64
5) 8.69
6) 8.65

It's been a little colder in NJ now, so the cart was sitting in the garage.

Thoughts???
Old 11-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Looks like resting voltage is good. Now drive the cart full pedal to the floor up a hill and check each battery individually. This will load up the battery with a good 100+ amp draw on the pack. Note what the LOWEST voltage on each battery drops to while doing this (it will take 6 trips up the hill). Don’t pick a little hill, get a good one that’s at least 100 feet long and as steep as you can find, so it takes at least 10 seconds or so of “hill” to really load the batteries up.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #26
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Like CP241 states...You have to check them under load...You have a newer Precedent without an obc...The battery warning light works different in those carts since 2014...

Battery Low State-of-Charge Warning
• The light comes on and remains solid when the battery state of charge falls below 20%.
• The light begins flashing when the battery state of charge falls below 10%
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Looks like resting voltage is good. Now drive the cart full pedal to the floor up a hill and check each battery individually. This will load up the battery with a good 100+ amp draw on the pack. Note what the LOWEST voltage on each battery drops to while doing this (it will take 6 trips up the hill). Don’t pick a little hill, get a good one that’s at least 100 feet long and as steep as you can find, so it takes at least 10 seconds or so of “hill” to really load the batteries up.
Got to think where I can do this in my community.

Will also need to borrow or buy alligator clips for the volt meter to attach to the batteries.

Would it help if I had someone in the cart with me to stress the batteries more going up the hill?
Old 11-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Got to think where I can do this in my community.

Will also need to borrow or buy alligator clips for the volt meter to attach to the batteries.

Would it help if I had someone in the cart with me to stress the batteries more going up the hill?
You’ve got a 500lb cart with another 300-400lbs of lead in the bottom. Add yourself to the mix, it’s plenty of load. Adding another person won’t make a big impact on the results. We’re not looking for a full out stress test to push the cart to its limits. Just trying to put a sizeable load on the batteries and see how they perform under a load. You can load it by accelerating from a dead stop, but the heaviest current draw isn’t more than a couple seconds on flat pavement so not really a good load test, which is why I suggest whatever the biggest hill is that you can find.

If you don’t have alligator clips, in a pinch you can zip tie the probe to the battery cable so it makes contact with the battery terminal.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Even a good hard acceleration on level ground will give you a good indication of battery health. I have a long set of cables with clips on the end that I can hook to individual batteries and to my Fluke. I just accelerate on the road at full throttle and see what I get for a voltage reading. Do each battery individually.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car