lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
Dino85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Navitas 5kw AC conversion motor length issues

Last night I was installing my Navitas 5kw AC conversion kit on my 2004 Precedent. When I was buttoning everything up I realized that my passenger rear shock was unable to reconnect to the plate on the bottom of my leaf springs. The motor itself is just too long and kicks the shock absorber out about a half inch past it’s mounting plate. I knew the Yamaha G29 carts had issues with this and had to use the 4kw motor but everyone said the 5kw would fit right in my precedent. Has anyone else ever encountered or heard of this issue? It is an IQ (PQ serial number) cart which originally had the Curtis black box controller. Thanks for any input on this issue and I’m going to just fab a bracket for now.
Dino85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
Hottdoggin
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Navitas 5kw AC conversion motor length issues

Contact David Hicks @ revolution golf car, in Georgia, he's a site sponsor and is the club car master
Hottdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Prior to 08 the precedent had an axle that was offset more to the center of the cart. In 08 they switched the motor design to a longer can motor which had a clearance issue with the frame and shock on the right side, and they then changed the axle design to accommodate the new longer motor. The newer axle design is offset more towards the left (driver) side of the cart and provides about 1-1/2” more room for the motor.
You can swap the entire axle assembly with one from an 08+ cart and it all bolts in exactly the same.
To use that motor with your axle can be done with a lift kit, and you would need to fabricate a bracket to move the shock away from the motor.
Or, send the 5kw motor back and install the 4kw version.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Can you relocate the lower or upper shock mount to make it fit? Seems a little plate and some light welding or even bolting it to move the shock wouldn’t be too horribly difficult, but it’s hard to say without being able to see it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
Dino85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the advise and input. I decided to go ahead and fab a little bracket out of some scrap steel I have and run with it. I did quite a bit of research on the ac conversion (obviously not enough) and all I read was about the 5kw being too long for the Yamaha G29, nothing about 04-07 precedents. We’ll live and learn, thanks again for all the quick replies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA17A264-4CC1-4D17-9531-E42C5E02D2BA.jpg (12.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5912AAB7-7986-4079-8774-591DC255A6C5.jpg (15.1 KB, 0 views)
Dino85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 AM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I was going to have the same issue with my ‘99 DS. David at Revolution sold me a gently used set of newer axles to offset the differential so I wouldn’t have any clearance problems.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I had to remove 1 shock (was a PITA with the body on) on my EZGO TXT when I installed the 5KW motor. I might have been able to re-install it but I didn't since I saw posts that said the newer EZGO's don't even have rear shocks. I don't notice any difference in the ride.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car