lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
AkinLB
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation RXV isn’t running like it used to

Hello all,
New to the forum, first time poster. Thank you to all in advance.

My 2017 EzGo RXV 48v isn’t running the same after dismantling it and cleaning it. I completely dismantled body and cleaned all battery terminals. I was very careful in cleaning the tops with a baking soda solution and rag. I did not spray anything but dip the rag and wipe it up quickly after. I cleaned all the terminals and used the terminal spray when reconnecting. I kept all wires where they go and did not move anything around.

I did add a step down to 12v to run the lights that were hooked up to just one battery previous. Lights all work still.

I did have the cart tuned and unlocked to go 25 mph prior to all this. Would I need to have that done again after having the batteries disconnected for some time.

Also, when I was disconnecting the main battery negative, I did accidentally hit the wrench to the metal frame, causing it to arc. I had to hit it off as it was stuck and starting to weld.

That being said, when hooking everything back up, the lights work, the cart runs, but it doesn’t have any speed and it doesn’t seem to be charging. (The light is not on and I cannot hear the charger kick on). The meter says 75% though.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. This was a big deal for me to take the cart apart and paint it. So while it was a part I decided to clean up terminals, wiring, etc.
Need to get this up and running so we can cruise the neighborhood and look at lights with our two girls.
AkinLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: RXV isn’t running like it used to

You have a wiring problem if you got an arc from battery negative to the frame. The battery should be isolated from the frame. Something got damaged when that happened - maybe the controller. None of your lights should be grounded to the frame. First find where the battery is in contact with the frame. It has to be a solid contact if you got welding going on.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
AkinLB
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your reply. The battery is not touching any frame. It was my wrench when I was undoing the nut, spun it around and hit the metal part going over the batteries. It arched and scared me, and was in a tight place where I couldn’t get the wrench off right away, so it started to flame and was touching the metal through the wrench for a few seconds.

No lights are grounded to the frame. Lights work fine still, in fact I added a brake light and that works fine as well.

Any idea why the charger wouldn’t be working anymore? I’m thinking it’s all related, but I what is the fix if the cause was the metal wrench touching the frame?
AkinLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkinLB View Post
It arched and scared me, and was in a tight place where I couldn’t get the wrench off right away, so it started to flame and was touching the metal through the wrench for a few seconds.
Wow

What you described would happen when touching negative to positive... With a volt meter, check If there is voltage between pack negative and the frame.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Post a picture of where the short occurred. You should have had to short across two battery terminals to cause this - not from any terminal to the frame of the cart!!!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, batteries, ezgo, rxv, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO