lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
FireLane
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Air shocks in the rear for a better ride?

I’d like to get everyone’s opinion especially if you’ve done it. I have a Club Car Precedent and have the heavy duty leaf springs in the rear but I am about to do a lithium conversion and with the cart being lighter I know the ride will be much stiffer. I was thinking about going with the dual rate springs but have heard that they squeak a lot. What is everyone’s opinion on using stock leaf springs with air shocks?
FireLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Air shocks in the rear for a better ride?

Shocks don't make for a softer or stiffer ride, They take the repetitive bounce out of the suspension cycle.
The stiffness comes from the springs so the only way to soften it up is lighter spring rates.
If you have heavy duty now and want to go back to OEM you might see if the springs for the gas carts are different part numbers than stock electric, maybe might be lighter spring rate.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Shocks don't make for a softer or stiffer ride, They take the repetitive bounce out of the suspension cycle.
The stiffness comes from the springs so the only way to soften it up is lighter spring rates.
If you have heavy duty now and want to go back to OEM you might see if the springs for the gas carts are different part numbers than stock electric, maybe might be lighter spring rate.
What he said. Springs are what support the weight of the vehicle and create your ride. HD springs are very stiff to support more weight.

Shocks control the rebound or bounce when you go over a bump to stop it from bouncing excessively. Surely you’ve see those older cars go over a bump and the back end is bouncing for the next half mile until it settles out. That’s what blown out shocks do. It should bounce once maybe twice and stop.

I’d consider putting your stock springs back on if it rides too rough. You’re losing several hundred pounds of lead. Also don’t forget the most important aspect of a suspension system is the tires. They are in direct contact with the road/dirt/bumps/holes. The tires will absorb much of this before the springs and shocks ever see anything. Larger sidewall tires absorb more because they flex more. Big wheels and lo pro tires don’t flex so will also result in a much rougher ride.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #4
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

I was thinking about this myself. Air shocks would definitely make the ride better due to the adjustability. I couldn’t find anything to fit well. I also had doubts about the upper shock mount on my DS. I do agree that using stock leafs would be a good start after the upgrade and see how it works before getting to far into it.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car