lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #11
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Modz Max48 Charger and Trojan Battery Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Two possibilities as I see it.
The batteries have been undercharged constantly since you began using the Modz charger.
The OBC has resistive circuits in it and using any other charger other than the Powerdrive charger will not allow the pack to charge properly unless the OBC is bypassed. I know the Modz charger instructions say that it can work even with the OBC, but they are not very clear on the specifics. When you actually get into how the OBC works, it doesn't make any sense that another brand charger would or could function properly with the OBC still connected in the charging circuit.
How do you know this? I have a 96 DS and 24hr after charger shuts off my pack voltage 51.1v I just started using the MODZ charger about 5 charges ago

EDITED
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #12
TampaGuy75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver86 View Post
How do you know this? I have a 96 DS and after 24hr my pack voltage 51.1v I just started using the MODZ charger
Your charger stays on for 24 hours? Or does it shut off during that time?
TampaGuy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGuy75 View Post
Your charger stays on for 24 hours? Or does it shut off during that time?
Sorry no I still have my OBC UNbypassed. It works just like you described before the bypass. Will blink red for a bit then yellow then solid green and shut off. Usually only charges for about 4hr. Sorry to hear your troubles. Definitely don't want to risk that issue for now
Old 02-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #14
TampaGuy75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Sorry no I still have my OBC UNbypassed. It works just like you described before the bypass. Will blink red for a bit then yellow then solid green and shut off. Usually only charges for about 4hr. Sorry to hear your troubles. Definitely don't want to risk that issue for now
Yup, exactly what happened to me. Worked fine before the bypass. I did an OBC bypass and now it just blinks red continuously and won't stop. I'm a little confused by this!
TampaGuy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
How do you know this? I have a 96 DS and 24hr after charger shuts off my pack voltage 51.1v I just started using the MODZ charger about 5 charges ago

EDITED
I don't know how the modz works. But I know how the OBC works, and to me it doesn't make any sense that the Modz would be able to charge through the OBC. Especially if the OBC was damaged or failed and was the reason for buying a smart charger in the first place.
The OBC controls the current output and voltage from the Powerdrive charger that it was designed to be paired with. It does this by limiting how much power can get to the batteries, via some type of mosfet or other semi conductor regulating circuit. It's similar to the internals of a SCR type charger, except it has some other features that make it more or less "special" and a pain in the a$$ all in one. Since there is resistance in the charging circuit going through the OBC, that will interfere with how any smart charger works, regardless of brand. If you have an OBC, and you are using a smart charger, you should completely bypass the OBC to make sure the charger can work properly.

I do know that I have several other smart chargers, Delta Q and Lester, and none of them will even start a charge cycle if plugged into an OBC cart if the OBC has not been bypassed. Why does the Modz seemingly work when those don't?
No idea.
If you have a voltmeter check the voltage on the battery pack while the charger is charging, and compare that to see if that voltage is the same as what's at the charger plug.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #16
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaGuy75 View Post
Yup, exactly what happened to me. Worked fine before the bypass. I did an OBC bypass and now it just blinks red continuously and won't stop. I'm a little confused by this!
Any luck or update?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car