lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
champeen07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help diagnosing electrical problem

I have a 36v EZGO TXT. Went for a ride last night no problem. Maybe 2 miles total. Went to drive the cart this morning after leaving it plugged in all night, and all that happens when I push down the accelerator is a click noise from the solenoid. No movement at all. Plugged the cart back in and got it to move about 6 inches after a few minutes.

Each 6v battery shows 6.7 or so volts. Total battery charge shows 28v even after hours of being charged. I took the main wires off of the batteries, and it now shows a full charge of 40V. So something is pulling a large load on the batteries even if the key is off.

Any ideas on what is drawing a full charge out of the batteries very quickly? There are no accessories or anything else attached to the batteries. Solenoid and motor only. I have left it charging for hours, but as soon as it is charged and the charger shuts off, the batteries show dead again. Batteries are 2 years old and should be fine.

This doesn't seem like a bad solenoid, but I could be wrong.
champeen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Help diagnosing electrical problem

If something was pulling good batteries down in voltage that much, lots of heat / smoke would be generated. If that's not happening, you have one or more bad battery or a very poor connection between batteries. If each battery measures 6.7V and the total is not that times 6, you have a broken / bad connection somewhere in the chain.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
champeen07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When the cables to the solenoid and motor are disconnected, the total reading is 6 times each battery voltage. The connections are good and according to the reading, the batteries are not the problem.

I did think that if something was constantly drawing that much then there would be a short and signs of that, but there are no signs at all. I'm pretty stumped.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Get it in the bad voltage state and go through it with your DVM. You will find where the drop is that way.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
champeen07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After a full charge, each individual battery is showing 6.4 volts. Voltage in series is showing 38.6v which is not full. Why could that be?
Old 03-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As I said here twice, you have a voltage drop somewhere in the chain. Find and fix it. Use your multi-meter and measure each battery in succession with the cart turned on. First measure from cart negative to bat #1 positive. THen from cart negative to bat #2 positive, THen from cart negative to bat #3 positve, etc until you are measuring cart negative to cart positive. Each added battery should add exactly it's voltage to your total. Write them all down and report back with the numbers.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #7
bigred08046
Not Yet Wild

2005 955s limo where do the ITS black and white wires connect?
I have a 3 position 4 lug keyswitch and 3 lug battery meter. I have too many wires!
bigred08046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

BigRed, you need to start your own thread. It keeps things cleaner but it also means your question will be seen by more eyes.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO