lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #1
Dadkins
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrading 36v ezgo in stages

I have a 36v ezgo series cart that I’m looking to upgrade controller, motor, and batteries. I’m going to keep the 36v batteries for now since they are in good condition and then upgrade to 48v when I need new ones. I think I’ve decided on going with the 600v Navitas controller and the admiral B1 for the motor. I’m considering just upgrading the controller and solenoid now and then the motor when I do the batteries. My question is will I see any increase in speed with the new controller and stock motor? Open to any advice or input. Thanks!
Dadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Upgrading 36v ezgo in stages

I think your motor will do fine (actually better) with 48v. I'm going to do the same when mine die.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Buy a controller and solenoid that will work with both 36 and 48 volts. I think the controller alone will give you more torque but not speed. Don't forget about upgrading to #2 battery cables. Check out my post about battery configuration when you change from 36 to 48 volts. You'll only have to buy 1 additional 9" cable to make the change. It's unconventional but it works and saves you some ca$h. You may want to check with ScottyB for any additional input.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=182306
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of people go the 36 now 48v later route. 48v is where all of the older 36v carts need to be eventually. All of the series motors handle the 48v. 48v induces the motor to produce more torque and more speed more efficiently. Which is why the 600 amp controls are unnecessary in this cart.
1st of all the stock motor pulls about 80 amps running full speed and about 180 for a few seconds upon a hard start up a hill.
2nd most aftermarket motors pull 80-100 amps at wide open and it is rare to see more than 250-280 pulled from even the big aftermarket motors, again that is just for 5-10 seconds until they get moving, then the amp draw goes down.
Bottom line is a 36/48v 500/400 combo will do all 99% of the users need with this cart. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #5
Dadkins
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the info! Would I get more out of upgrading the controller and batteries now and then the motor later or upgrading the controller and motor now and then the batteries later?
Old 03-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A voltage increase makes speed. I would go with the controller/solenoid and voltage increase now for the biggest bang for your buck. Then upgrade the motor later.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If you do the controller and batteries now you will also need the solenoid. With a higher amp controller, larger battery cables are a must. Check out the Plum Quick website, they used to have a suggested plan for upgrading in stages. Sometimes you're further ahead and just doing the full upgrade all at once. All stock parts can be sold to people with empty pockets. Even good used batteries have some value to someone on a tight budget.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
Dadkins
Not Yet Wild

I actually just realized my cart has a Curtis 350 amp controller on it. I’m not sure if they upgraded the solenoid as well. Is this compatible with 48v’s?
Old 03-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadkins View Post
I actually just realized my cart has a Curtis 350 amp controller on it. I’m not sure if they upgraded the solenoid as well. Is this compatible with 48v’s?
Your controller will be marked 36, 48, or 36/48 volts. The solenoid is almost surly 36v but again have a look they are marked.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #10
Keyser Soze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did exactly what you are doing - definitely get the controller/solenoid and batteries first. I went with the Alltrax 48500 and a heavy duty 500a solenoid. Also keep in mind that you don't need to replace your batteries - just add 2 more 6 volt batteries. I put mine where the golf clubs would go. You will get much more run time from 8 6-volts than 6 8-volts.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO