lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
4wealn
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 RXV Battery Charge Issue

Hello all. I have an issue that I am not sure if it tis one or not. So when I charge my cart and it is fully charged as the charger shuts off and you turn the key on it will go all they way to full, if you leave it for a couple hours or a day it will drop to in between full and 3/4. Eventually it will drop to 3/4 and pretty much stay there for at least a week. The batteries are new, I bought them in Late Aug. They are Crown 12V. I always charge it up after using it. I talked with the guy I bought the batteries and he thought that my factory charger was not doing a good job so I bought a new charger from him. It does a better job but the end result is the same. Has anybody seen this before or is this normal.

A second issue I just started to have is that I blew a solinoid. I had the original wires going to the solinoid from the controller (navitas 600amp) but I have 4ga wires for the batteries. I decided to switch to 2ga and also from the controller to the solinoid. A day later, the solinoid is pouched. If I hot it with a screw driver it would work but if you turned the cart off and back on, same issue. It would have 51v across both posts on the solinoid if switch was on or off. Is this a coincidence or does it have something to do with me switching to a bigger ga wire,

Any help is appreciated.
4wealn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV Battery Charge Issue

The same voltage on both solenoid big post with key on or off may be normal. There is a pre-charge resistor (or should be) across these terminals to keep the controller charged. You are going to need to give some more accurate voltage measurements at various times and points to help those here that have more knowledge and time to help you. I know just enough about golf carts to be dangerous. A lot of problems are caused changing wiring especially if the cart was working good before.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As radioman said, first step is to measure pack voltage after fully charged and rest time of 10-12 hrs. Also, check each individual battery. Post the results here. Repeat measurement after some time or when the gauge drops significantly. Selfdischarge as you describe is too much. Could be one bad battery in the pack.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #4
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Roughly how many times was the new battery pack charged ? New batteries can take about 15-20 charges before reaching full potential. What failed on the solenoid ? Changing to 2 awg wires should not have any negative issues unless you have a poor connection. On the one RXV we have with the Navitas controller, the voltage on the controller takes a minute or two to bleed off after the key is turned off.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you have a 12 volt convertor on cart for accessories like head lights?
Is it powered up all the rime? This can increase discharge time slightly
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
4wealn
Not Yet Wild

I do have a converter but it only comes on when you turn the key on. I have added a relay and pull the power from the solenoid small red wire to power the relay and ultimately send the power to the converter.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
4wealn
Not Yet Wild

On that note, I am wondering if the converter had anything to do with the solenoid going. After I disconnected the relay and hence no power going to the converter, the new solinoid started to click again when you turned on the key. Is it not appropriate to pull the power to energize the relay for the converter from the top of the solenoid from the red wire. The main power for the converter comes from the battery positive and negative.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:46 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Connecting the convertor to the solenoid is recommended, so that should be fine. But what is about your battery voltages??
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #9
4wealn
Not Yet Wild

I am in the process of charging and obtaining the voltages
Old 03-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
4wealn
Not Yet Wild

Alright so I was in my garage when the charger stopped its charge. I obtained these numbers almost immidiatley as soon as the charged stopped.
Main pack voltage was 55.62V. The four batteries came out at 13.90V, 13.87v, 13.86v, and 13.91v
About 2 hours later I went out and measured again.
Pack voltage was 52.54V. The four batteries came out at 13.15v, 13.13v, 13.12v, and 13.13v. The batteries were measure in the same order between the first and second measurements.
I will take another measurement in the morning which would be about 16 hours after the charger stopped due to a full charge.
It looks like the batteries are all within reason for voltages among the 4.

What are the initial thoughts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO