lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
wild cat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question middle where cables hooks

I have a 1987 EZGO Cart and the cables in the middle that has 4 bolts and 5 wires on it, and got a coil spring in the box caught on fire. The coil in the box got hot, Bright red hot, look like a old stove top burner on, burn the top of the cables plastic off of some them. Can anybody help on this and what gauge is the wire I need to replace with. Before that happen, the forward and reverse switch got were they wouldn't work, then that when the coil spring caught fire.
wild cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: middle where cables hooks

Post pictures of what you are referring to.
Bama Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: middle where cables hooks

That 'coil spring' isn't a spring but a big honkin' resistor.

The speed control in 1987 was to take full power from the battery and send it through a resistor before going to the motor. There are several places on the resistor where an electrical connection can be made. The more of the resistor that the electricity passes through the less power makes it to the motor and you go slower. The resistors will get crazy hot and sometimes burn out. When they burn out you will notice that you have no power when pressing the throttle until you get to a certain point and then have all the power you want.

That design from 87 is simple but horribly inefficient. You can replace the resistor if it indeed burned through or you can upgrade to a Solid State controller that won't waste so much electrical power by dumping it through a resistor.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
wild cat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart want move

Hello, I have a 1987 EZGO TXT golf cart. MY F/R switch stop working cause the brass was burn on the forward side, so I replace it After that He wouldn't run, so I thought the coil was bad and replace that, still nothing. The I replace key switch, then I had the motor check and it's fine. I have put new Batteries in it about 3 yrs, and I check them all on a load test and they where reading 6 t0 6.1 volts. Then I bought new batteries cables and put on, still no luck and will not move. How can I F/R switch cause so much trouble to change out when I mark all wires cable and on the panel of the new one? I'm Lost on this!!! By the way, I used my volt meter on all of my problems, but I'm not getting no reading on the 2 back ones, just the 4 in the front, I lost on this! Anybody else had this problem before. Thanks for taking the time to read all this
Old 10-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
wild cat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cart want move

Hello, I have a 1987 EZGO TXT golf cart. MY F/R switch stop working cause the brass was burn on the forward side, so I replace it After that He wouldn't run, so I thought the coil was bad and replace that, still nothing. The I replace key switch, then I had the motor check and it's fine. I have put new Batteries in it about 3 yrs, and I check them all on a load test and they where reading 6 t0 6.1 volts. Then I bought new batteries cables and put on, still no luck and will not move. How can I F/R switch cause so much trouble to change out when I mark all wires cable and on the panel of the new one? I'm Lost on this!!! By the way, I used my volt meter on all of my problems, but I'm not getting no reading on the 2 back ones, just the 4 in the front, I lost on this! Anybody else had this problem before. Thanks for taking the time to read all this!!
Old 10-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #6
wild cat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart want move!!

Hello, I have a 1987 EZGO TXT golf cart. MY F/R switch stop working cause the brass was burn on the forward side, so I replace it After that He wouldn't run, so I thought the coil was bad and replace that, still nothing. The I replace key switch, then I had the motor check and it's fine. I have put new Batteries in it about 3 yrs, and I check them all on a load test and they where reading 6 t0 6.1 volts. Then I bought new batteries cables and put on, still no luck and will not move. How can I F/R switch cause so much trouble to change out when I mark all wires cable and on the panel of the new one? I'm Lost on this!!! By the way, I used my volt meter on all of my problems, but I'm not getting no reading on the 2 back ones, just the 4 in the front, I lost on this! Anybody else had this problem before. Thanks for taking the time to read all this!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO