lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #1
cjpearson421
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZGO PDS 36V with new Alltrax XCT-48400 - What kind of speed should I be seeing?

First time posting, but have lurked for some time. I tried various searches for some insights into my new setup, but have come up search (user error?). Long story short, I accidentally shorted my stock controller with speed personality plug. Decided to take the advice here and picked up an Alltrax XCT-48400 for my 2001 EZGO PDS 36V with stock motor and 23 tires.

I made it through the install, and to my delight she started right up. However, my current configs (default) seem to be a little sluggish compared to the stock controller with personality plug. I do get a little more torque at lower speeds, but acceleration seems muted, taking a while to get up to full speed.

What kind of top speed should I expect with my new setup?

Any recommendations on Alltrax configurations I should make?

Thanks in advance
cjpearson421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 EZGO PDS 36V with new Alltrax XCT-48400 - What kind of speed should I be see

Do you have the correct field map for your motor? Put it in Turbo mode to get more top speed. Make a log with your laptop while you are driving to see what is going on. You can interface with Alltrax support to get help if you still are not getting at least the same top speed you were getting before.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
cjpearson421
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 EZGO PDS 36V with new Alltrax XCT-48400 - What kind of speed should I be see

My current field mapping is EZPDS-DCS-V1, is the the right one?
Old 03-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like it would be. I don't know what motor you have and my Alltrax experience is with D&D motors but you can get your motor info and ask Alltrax to confirm that the map is correct. It does make a big difference as this is how the higher speed is regulated. (by reducing the field current) The Alltrax should allow you to get the maximum possible speed out of your motor / gearing / battery combination. There is no limiting like there is with a stock controller.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock motor is 2.5 hp. In stock shape the PDS should gain 25-30% power and net 22-23 mph with the Alltrax upgrade. The 23" tires reduce power by 25% so it negates the power increase. If the batteries are the slightest bit weak the big tires will really pull them down upon acceleration reducing the performance significantly.
If you have a laptop download the Alltrax software and collect a monitor file on a few 0 - WOT run ups and post that file here so we can see what's happening
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
cjpearson421
Not Yet Wild

I'll try to run another monitor capture, haven't quite figured out how to do it consistently yet...
Old 03-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
galveston
Not Yet Wild

I have the same cart/configuration (XCT48400 & 23" tires, 36v PDS). I also upgraded cables + solenoid.

My top speed is around 18mph with new batteries. If you're talking about off the line acceleration then adjusting the throttle rate in the controller software may make you happier. It seems the throttle rate was set very conservatively when I first installed (I think I have it set to 50% now).
galveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Seems both of these carts should be going faster. Alas - the BIG tires could be sucking all the power out of the lowly 6v batteries. What is the pack voltage when the cart is floored and under performing?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Suspect these carts have big fat low pressure off-road tires with an aggressive tread pattern.

A stock PDS controller RPM limits the stock PDS motor to about 4400RPM with speed chip installed. With stock gears (12.44:1) and stock tires (18" tall) that yields roughly 18MPH.

Removing or setting the RPM limiting higher, a stock PDS motor turning stock tires through stock gears will max out at about 5600RPM when powered by a 36V battery pack. That translates to roughly 24MPH.

Mathematically, with 23" tall tires 5600RPM at the motor should propel the cart at about 30MPH, but the increased tire height also decrease the amount of torque available where rubber meets road by about 22%, so actual speed is less than theoretical. Toss low pressure tires into the mix and top speed is further reduced.

Possible fixes:

* Tires that have a 20PSI or greater max inflation pressure.
* Up pack voltage to 42V or 48V. (Solenoid as well as battery charger may need upgrading)
* Motor with more torque.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #10
galveston
Not Yet Wild

Minor update on mine. I've moved from 22x9-10 mud tires with very aggressive tread (Carlisle Stryker tires) to 23x10-12 Modz Street Fox Radial tires. Overall height is the same for both tires even though one is listed as 22" & the other as 23".

I took it out today & checked the speed again via GPS & saw a 22mph top speed. It seems I've gained 4mph with a different tread pattern (both tires were 20psi).
galveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO