lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
Shanks12
Not Yet Wild

Default US Battery 8VGC XC2 vs Trojan T-875: Anything Else I should Know?

Hello Everyone!

I've done some reading on here for a while now but finally decided to join. I have a 2019 Club Car Onward. It has (6) 8v PD+ batteries in it now that it seems one is dead. It reads significantly lower than the others.

Over the last week the cart has become slower and over the last few days has started to 'jerk' while taking off.

5 Batteries read 8.2 to 8.35 after sitting for 12 hours after a full charge. The sixth read 6.22.

So I am looking to upgrade to a full set. I'm looking at the Trojan T-875 or US 8VGC XC2.

I was just given these prices:
  • US 8VGC XC2: $122.97 EACH $787.63 A SET WITH TAX EXCHANGE
  • Trojan T-875: $162.69 EACH $1042.03 A SET WITH TAX EXCHANGE.

Data:
  • US 8VGC XC2: 20 Hour Rate: 170 | min @ 56 Amps: 118, @ 25 Amps: 325
  • Trojan T-875: 20 Hour Rate: 170 | min @ 56 Amps: 117, @ 25 Amps: 295

I was thinking of the T875's but the US 8VGC's have a little more power it seems along with the lower cost. I did read on here that people were having issues with boilovers. Was the due to wrong charger settings?

I have the Club Car version of the Delta Q IC650-048-CC charger that was running Algo 31, based on the software I downloaded to check the charger. Looking at DeltaQ's website I can change to algo 71 for US Battery or 3 for Trojan.

Would changing to the correct algo help prevent those boilovers? Most of my use is just around the neighborhood to the pool and back. Rarely see it drop under 80% charge. Most of my daily runnings are to the bus stop 1/3 mi uphill and back. During the summer it is more to the community pool which is close to 2-2 1/2m

Are the Trojan's worth the extra $254.40?

After upgrading to new batteries, Is there anything else I need to do? I believe I read somewhere that you should run down the battery to 50% then charge for the first few times? Is that correct?

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by Shanks12; 04-04-2022 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Better Title & More Info
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Default Re: Looking at US Battery 8VGC XC2 vs Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I've done some reading on here for a while now but finally decided to join. I have a 2019 Club Car Onward. It has (6) 8v PD+ batteries in it now that it seems one is dead. It reads significantly lower than the others.

Over the last week the cart has become slower and over the last few days has started to 'jerk' while taking off.

5 Batteries read 8.2 to 8.35 after sitting for 12 hours after a full charge. The sixth read 6.22.

So I am looking to upgrade to a full set. I'm looking at the Trojan T-875 or US 8VGC XC2.

I was just given these prices:
  1. US8VGC $122.97 EACH $787.63 A SET WITH TAX EXCHANGE
  2. T875 $162.69 EACH $1042.03 A SET WITH TAX EXCHANGE.

I was thinking of the T875's but the US 8VGC's have a little more power it seems along with the lower cost. I did read on here that people were having issues with boilovers. Was the due to wrong charger settings?

I have the Club Car version of the Delta Q IC650-048-CC charger that was running Algo 31, based on the software I downloaded to check the charger. Looking at DeltaQ's website I can change to algo 71 for US Battery or 3 for Trojan.

Would changing to the correct algo help prevent those boilovers? Most of my use is just around the neighborhood to the pool and back. Rarely see it drop under 80% charge.

Thanks

Mark
I'm considering both batteries also.

Where are you seeing these prices?

Thanks
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Welcome to BGW.

I had 6V US Batteries in my cart when I bought it used ... and replaced them with 6V Trojan batteries because that was the best deal at the time.

In my opinion, both USB and Trojan's are top line, quality batteries.

Your pricing on the USB seems to be lower than anything I saw on a quick look on the internet.

Make sure that the USB are not factor seconds (blemished ... I believe they call them) and confirm what the date of manufacture is. You want to be buying batteries that are the freshest you can find ... a maximum of 3 months old or fresher if you can.

Batteries that have been sitting on the shelf for a long period of time and have not been kept charged can already be sulfated. Which ever batteries you decide to buy, check the date of manufacture and bring your multimeter with you and check out the state of charge on them. In an ideal world, you want to be above 90% state of charge or higher on new batteries which is about 8.41 volts. See attached generic state of charge chart below for more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Shanks12
Not Yet Wild

I'm seeing these at my local Just Batteries. I'm not sure if it is a national chain or not.

justbatteriesinc.com

I got another quote for Trojan 875's at $1088.53 with tax & exchange as well at another local place.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #5
Shanks12
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

Great info, I probably would have forgotten to ask about the date of the batteries. I've been in touch with them via email. I'll see if I can get an answer there. That way I have it in writing too.

Update -- Just asked them and they said:

US MARCH 2022
TROJAN FEB 2022
Old 04-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

For that kind of price difference going with US is no brainer. They're top teir, arguably better than Trojan.

Yes, You MUST change the charger algorithm when you replace the batteries.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I have read that Trojan’s aren’t as good as they used to be. I know they used to be the preferred brand. I have also read that the US batteries were messing when charging but wonder if people weren’t overfilling them. I had Trojans before changing to Crown CR165’s but that was all that was available at the time. These Crowns hardly use any water at all and now that I found a charger with the correct algorithm I’m very happy with them. For what it’s worth.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #8
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
US 8VGC XC2: 20 Hour Rate: 170 | min @ 56 Amps: 118, @ 25 Amps: 325
Trojan T-875: 20 Hour Rate: 170 | min @ 56 Amps: 117, @ 25 Amps: 295
I have the same US Batteries in my cart. I can't remember exactly what I paid for them but it seems they were around $800 for 6 of them.

I bought them from a Battery Warehouse not too far from home. They had a couple pallets of them on the floor and they were stamped the same month and year that I purchased them. That was 06/19. They are holding up well and so far have required very little watering.

I went through the same delima you are going through. I assume most of us do when spending that much on batteries.

I looked for the T-875's but they are non existent around here without ordering.

I can't help with the charger. I'm still running with the OBC and a Powerdrive 3 charger.
It ain't broke so I don't intend to fix it.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:45 PM   #9
greg-g
Gone Wild

Well everyone when they're battery shopping Compares batteries to Trojans maybe there's a reason maybe not but apparently they are the standard
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:05 AM   #10
Shanks12
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to go with the US Battery 8VGC XC2. Seems like they are both top tier. But can save $250ish.

When removing the batteries. Is there a sequence for removing the cables/batteries? Assume put it into TOW mode then disconnect Main Neg then Main Pos. Then the jumpers?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car