lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
brucehaley
Not Yet Wild

Default Diodes for heavy duty solenoid

I installed the MZJ-400 solenoid on my 2012 Ezgo RXV with lithium batteries. The solenoid came with two diodes. Should I install the diodes on the solenoid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B659C081-070C-4A43-8046-162F5E993526.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
brucehaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2022, 03:25 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Diodes for heavy duty solenoid

One of those is a precharge resistor. The other is a diode. What to do depends on your controller. Some need both, some just the diode.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
brucehaley
Not Yet Wild

Navitas 440A controller. When fully charged to 54-55 volts the heat shield above the resistor coil gets very hot real quick. Below 52 volts it seems normal warm.
I was wandering if installing the pre charge resistor and diode on the solenoid would help with the voltage surge and sudden heat spike.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is not what they are there for. Look at the Navitas manual and find out if it shows installing these components on the solenoid.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

AC, Series or Sepex motor? Matters.

If Series yes you need them. If Sepex not needed. (On a Navitas TSX3.0 install.) On the Navitas TAC2 AC inverter they are not needed. As you have a TAC2 on that RXV it is not needed.

Now your resistor coil gets hot because it is there for regenerative braking which is what your RXV relies mostly on. If you have a fully charged battery that take the current from Regen then, the current that would normally go back into the battery goes to the coil. The coil burns off the excess current as heat.

If you want to have a cooler coil leave some space in the battery for current. Many lithium setups fail to do this and fully charge the cells which makes regen braking difficult.

The other option is to series in another RXV resistor coil. Many of the drop in battery users have to do this because they can't configure the BMS to leave space in the pack.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:16 PM   #6
brucehaley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Imapled. I talked to David at Navitas. He said exactly what you stated.
I will simply stop charging in the 90-95% range to save some room in the battery for regen. With two 48 volt 130 AH lithiums working in parallel I have more than enough ⚡️ Even for the long hauls. 👍🏼
Old 06-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehaley View Post
Thanks Imapled. I talked to David at Navitas. He said exactly what you stated.
I will simply stop charging in the 90-95% range to save some room in the battery for regen. With two 48 volt 130 AH lithiums working in parallel I have more than enough ⚡️ Even for the long hauls. 👍🏼
Great folks at Navitas. :)
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Can you get a replacement diode locally? Do auto parts stores carry them?
rstarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO