lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
LaBelle Automotive
Not Yet Wild

Default What charger do you prefer?

In the process of converting a Club Car DS resistor cart to solid state and 48 volts. Starting to look around at chargers and thought I'd ask what everyone is fond of. Yes I do know that opinions are like a**holes so this should be interesting. And go.....
LaBelle Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: What charger do you prefer?

Whichever one comes with the lithium pack we all know you’re gonna buy with the conversion
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Well if your not going to go Lithium. Then the Summit ll is great. It charges 36 and 48 volt lead acid or AGM. It can also be mounted onboard which is also great. We typically mount them on board with any build. You can also get a remote LED to mount so you will know the charge status.
brokebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #4
jon21588
Not Yet Wild

I just listed a couple Lester's for sale on here. I've owned a few for my carts and they've all been great.
jon21588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

DPI gen 3. Damm near bulletproof, has a continuous float charge and automatic charge cycle, I think, every 30 days or so but I'm not sure exactly as my buggy doesn't sit for more than 10 hours.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

DPI makes a good charger but before you buy one I would suggest you make sure that there is a charging algorithm for the batteries you have. I had a gen 4 DPI and it wouldn’t charge my Crown CR165’s completely. Changed to a Lester Summit II and batteries charge completely now giving me further range.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda depends what you're looking for.

Smart chargers, there are quite a few on the market. Do you want adjustability? Data storage and retrieval?
Or do you want simple Plug and Charge?

Most transformer based chargers are the "Plug and Charge" type. You can't change much, there's no way to look at charge history or any other data such as faults or errors during charging. There are a few now that are considered "smart" and have a few settings you can change to match your battery type, but they are generally limited to a handful of different batteries. Transformer chargers are often user serviceable, meaning if something fails inside you can generally open it up and replace the failed part.

Digital/ solid state chargers are almost all "throw-away" items, if something fails inside there is no way to repair it, you have to toss the whole thing and buy a new charger.

Price range? Smart chargers range anywhere from $250 up to $550. Most transformer type chargers are in the $300 to $450 range.

Do you want to be able to charge lithium batteries? AGM? Or just Flooded lead acid?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

There is a person on “golf cart parts” section selling 2 used Summit 2’s.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car