lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Brandon.pierce
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 club car ds 36v

I have a 87 club car 36v I am wanting to put a navitas controller on it but have no idea what I’m doing just need some help. I have a clean slate I want to update my cart to a plum quick bandit motor. With a 400 or 600 controller. I seen where I could get a wiring harness online it’s the 3900 harness would it work on the controller or would it be easier to just get a alltrx 400 and wire it up? I have a wiring diagram. I just wonder if I can make this work thanks
Brandon.pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1987 club car ds 36v

Reach out to Scottyb or David Hicks from Revolution Golf Cars you are going to need much more then a controller to make this happen. IF you check out the websites I think they have the conversion kits for you to look at.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Brandon.pierce
Not Yet Wild

I’ve looked and the website says it’s for a iq. And I’m wanting to stay with an dc 36 volt I like the navitas controller but an all tax is good too! But I haven’t gotten a straight answer if that 3900 wording harness would work on a 400 navitas controller and would run a bandit motor
Old 06-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You haven’t offered nearly enough Information about your cart for anyone to offer any advice.

If you have a controller in your cart then your upgrades will be a lot easier.
If your cart has toaster coils then it’s going to require a whole lot more work.

Huge difference between the two cart systems
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All 1987 carts are 36v resistor coil unless modified. He said he has a blank slate so I read that as a stripped resistor coil cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
Brandon.pierce
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I’ll start from the beginning I have a 1987 club car ds had a 5 coil resistor pack on it with the speed assembly I gutted the whole cart. The only thing I have on it that is stock at the moment is the 36v motor. Witch is stock.

Again I am new to this never messed with carts before. I will be sending off the motor to plum quick to have it updated to the “bandit” I spoke with them today and said do not go over 440 amps on a controller or silinoid. I found a iq wiring Harness that says it is for ac. Can I run it on dc? It is a 3900 wiring harness.

I would really like to have navitas 440 dc controller but don’t know what to look for as in for wiring it up I know that the 3900 will wire straight up to the navitas 600 ac controller. Just wanting mor speed I would like to keep it 36v ( not sure if I’m qualified to go from 36 to 45 just don understand it) but thanks again
Old 06-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can’t use an iq harness or iq controller with a series motor. Same with AC and DC drive systems, you can’t mix and match parts.

If your cart is stripped clean, then I’d personally start with an iq conversion. It’s a much better, more efficient, and upgradeable platform than the series system. My DS is basically stock IQ (stock motor, controller, solenoid with a speed magnet) and it will run ~24-25mph on flat pavement. I do have lithium batteries but you’ll need a drive system before batteries.

Get ahold of David hicks at revolution golf cars, or Scottyb for a kit. Scotty sells an aftermarket upgrade kit to do what you’d want. David would have the OEM stuff since he is a club car dealer. Either route will do you well. And either route you would be wise to convert to 48v now as well
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #8
Buttapollock1010
Getting Wild

Club Car

Call Dave with revolution. I spoke to him multiple times, he knows his stuff and got me everything I needed. I was in a similar position as you. But I went with a AC system.
Buttapollock1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttapollock1010 View Post
Call Dave with revolution. I spoke to him multiple times, he knows his stuff and got me everything I needed.
Dave has helped me in the past as well; I agree
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor you are having refurbished is a series motor. So if you are going to use that motor you are committed to Series DC drive. You can run that motor on 36 or 48v. Personally I would use 48v because it runs at lower amperage draw while producing more power and speed than 36. Any one of our C series conversions would work. Take a look at C42 with a DC182 reversing contactor option.
GL with the project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car